washing non-organic produce

nolongerchaff

If you don’t / can’t buy organic produce (I’m thinking about EWG’s Dirty Dozen), how do you wash your produce?

Tbh, sometimes it pains me to pay $7 for organic strawberries, when the regular strawberries are $3 (on sale). I bought organic strawberries today, but sometimes I don’t because of these insane prices!!!

@nolongerchaff I do 1/2 cup white vinegar per 2 cups of water then soak for 10-15 min. If some things float above the water, I stir everything around every few minutes then rinse thoroughly and put in a sealed container, sometimes with a piece of paper towel in the container.

@nolongerchaff My husband handles this but mainly it’s vinegar and water. The vinegar surprisingly does not linger! We just let it soak, rinse out, lay to dry on a towel for a bit before putting away.

@nolongerchaff For grapes and strawberries, i have a hard time finding good organic fresh options, so i buy conventionally grown ones and wash them a lot. I soak them in water and baking soda and then wash and rinse them. Then I do a vinegar and water soak, then rub and rinse them. I don’t know if it makes sense to do both cleaning agents but I figure it doesn’t hurt.

@nolongerchaff I buy whatever is in season and on sale and do a 30 second hot water rinse and pat dry with paper towel and store in the fruit drawer with moisture control and your berries will last forever. Must make sure the fruit drawer is all the way closed. Less air in the better.

I used to buy only organic, but the prices these days are just too insane to justify for the amount of fruit my kids eat. They lick windows and sometimes forget to wipe and then scratch. Kids are gross haha. Mine rarely get sick. But I’m more team let them get a little exposure.
No allergies or sensitivities so far to any foods so that’s good at least.

@runaway887 Thank you for sharing some actual, factual information!

This sub has been getting waayy too Facebook-science for me lately, and I’ve been turned off my how much it’s changed over the past couple of years

Back