Vehicles for 9+

sciencechi

We currently have 5 kids, 7 people total, and have gotten away with the minivan up to now. With 3 in car seats, it’s quite a squeeze for my 2 big kids. I am expecting twins, so we are going to fly right on past 8 seats and will need 9. We are thinking about getting a Suburban or equivalent with a bench seat in the front, since we pretty rarely have everyone in at once, but we want to have the ability when we need it. We are hesitant to go with a tall van, since we want to be able to park in the garage. Also, it looks like the Nissan van is being discontinued. Those of you with 9+ people, what have you decided to drive?

@sciencechi Hey All, please trust me on this one!! 1000% Yukon Denali XL or Escalade ESV. The year doesn’t matter, if you can afford any year from 2007-2020. They’re all amazing and safe. If you’re winter climate, a dream through any rough storm or tons of snow..5 kids and we’ve had everything. Trust me you won’t regret it..you’re welcome!

@sciencechi My grandpa has a ford transit for all of his grandchildren and now great grandchildren when the the first of his great grandchildren was born he went and got chalkboard paint and painted the sides of it so they could draw on it. He loves it and l love it too there are a lot of happy memories in that van

For those of you who can’t park in the garage, do you live where you get 36+ inches of snow a year? That’s really the issue with the garage. I’m 5 feet tall, and just trying to envision myself trying to clean snow off of this huge vehicle. If we lived somewhere a little warmer, I think I would be less concerned.

@sciencechi Hi, I am a fly on the wall so don't have a large family but I live in denver and we get 60 inches per year. I have to park my car outside and I use a frost guard and remote start and most of the time I am good to go when I get outside after removing the guard.

@sciencechi We have 9 kids and a Nissan NV. We got it when we had 7 kids. It was the best decision ever. It doesn’t fit in the garage but my husbands truck barely fits in the garage either. We always had an extra kid or two and we wouldn’t have had that option with a suburban and a kid would have had to sit in the front in between us with the older model we looked at one kid number 8 came along.

@sciencechi We are looking too. We are about to be a family of 8 and have outgrown our Infiniti QX. We are looking at the Mercedes Sprinter, Nissian NV, and Yukon XL.

We’ve also toyed with the idea of just getting a second 7 seater vehicle.

Let us know what you go with! I am so torn here so I welcome all opinions as well.

@jhutch77 We did not, but the last time we bought one was about 4 years ago. When we do replace it, I plan to get the same thing.

I may be wrong, but I believe if you get one with captain seats through a Chevy Dealer or bring one to a Chevy dealer and are willing to pay for it, they can swap out the captain seats for a bench if it’s a model version that has the bench option. (The lower end model versions.) The high end/luxury model versions can only have captain seats.

Back