Vegetarian dairy and gluten free lunch ideas?

missy945

My 6 year old has ADHD, and has dealt with toileting issues since potty training. We've tried many therapy options for both issues, and found some success with a combo of ADHD medication and removing dairy and gluten from his diet.

His medicine reduces his appetite during the day, and he's pretty ravenous coming out of school. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for really nutrient dense things I could pack him for lunch to keep him fueled.

Things he will definitely eat are pistachios/cashews, dried cranberries, fresh fruit of almost any kind. His pb&j sandwiches come back uneaten, and he used to eat cheese & crackers, but we've cut the dairy. We do eat fish, beans and tofu, but I'm struggling with ways to pack those things in a cold lunch. Any ideas?

@missy945 Does he like avocado/guacamole? That's nutrient and calorie dense if so. You could pack it with veggies or chips.

You could also mix some into a dip that might be more palatable to kiddos like avocado ranch dip or you could also it on bread and use it the way you would mayo (you could also mix it in with mayo or whatever his favorite spread is to reach a compromise on taste and nutrition).

Hummus is basically all the same as above.

For the peanut butter, does he like it in other contexts? Maybe he just doesn't want pb&js. You could try pb and banana sandwich, the Elvis sandwich, pb chocolate, etc. Or he might prefer to dip his fruit into it. There's also lots of other nut butters out there, many with flavors added like cinnamon, chocolate, or maple (then again you could certainly stick with a basic nut butter and add those flavors as you're making lunch).

You could probably pack a smoothie with an ice pack that might help.

One of my favorite food/cooking channels is Mind Over Munch, she focuses on healthier but balanced eating and had made a ton of bento box videos, as well as plenty of kid friendly snacks. Here's a vegetarian bento compilation, picky eater bentos, and here are some gluten free muffins, and some gluten free cookies.

For the things you mentioned, they can be turned into dips and salads. Make a dairy free bean dip or a tuna salad sandwich.

Lastly, sometimes making the lunch fun can encourage kiddos to eat, especially when the problem is focus/motivation/interest. You could put the food into new forms like kebabs, roll ups, or cookie cutter shapes. You could make it something he assembles/customizes kinda like the lunchables we grew up with. Having him help make it/choose the components will also help. As will including something special that he doesn't get often. Make something weird like a waffled apple or a "sushi" that has nothing to do with fish.

@dahtra Amazing ideas, and thank you for all the links! I’ll try some new nut butters, I bet if I put them on graham crackers, he’d enjoy them. Thanks!

@missy945 We have done egg muffins for lunches. We usually do broccoli cheese or spinach, tomato and cheese but if your kid likes eggs some mix ins without cheese might work. My kid also likes cold black beans and rice, sometimes with tomatoes or salsa thrown on.
Hard boiled eggs. Hummus, maybe with crackers, toast, veggies, or a tortilla.

@missy945 Pb and apple slices (I can't stand peanut butter when it's been sitting on bread for a bit but otherwise I love it). Gf or corn tortilla rolls with hummus or nondairy cheese (might be ablento get some veg on there too). Batch make some mini muffins he might like. Energy balls with protein powder and nuts/berries he likes.

Does he like to help you prep things? He might feel more connected to his food and inspired to eat it if he puts the hummus on the tortilla and rolls it up, gets to roll the energy balls into spheres, etc. Our ADHD brains love doing novel new things!

I also think it's pretty common for kids to go lighter on lunch/snacks at school where there are a lot if distractions. Especially someone with ADHD... we can get caught up in the excitement of the moment. Emphasize solid breakfasts and after school snacks. I know it's stressful but he won't starve if he eats lightly for a few hours a day.

@missy945 A combination of fruit salad/sliced fruit, a snack mix (dried cranberries, nuts, can experiment with dried coconut or dried edamame or even beef jerky), and something more "substantial" like a hummus wrap seems like a solid lunch set! Since his appetite is low during the day, packing a whole bunch of more snack-like things, especially ones that can be re-used on a future day if he doesn't get to it, seems like a good strategy. Getting little containers for 'dips' - PB, hummus, nondairy salad dressings, etc. can also be an appealing option and prevent sogginess. Lastly, those little energy ball things with dates and nuts/coconut etc. would definitely be a power snack option if he likes them. I have similar issues right now and I make my own cookies with half nut flour, half a gluten-free blend, and plenty of chocolate chips, nuts, and other mix ins. They're honestly very healthy and super filling.

@benimarutempest Oh, focusing on snacks that can be reused is such a good idea. Love the idea of the cookies, too. I usually shy away from desserts in his lunch, but making my own gives me the option to make them filling and healthy(ish). Thanks!

@missy945 We are vegan, not gf but here’s some options I use:
Vegan yogurt with granola and berries.
Vegan cheese and bean quesadillas on corn tortillas. One kid will eat cold one won’t.
Cowboy caviar with chips.
Tofu skewers: my kids like it just rolled in nut yeast and salt then air fried. Anything on a stick they are more likely to eat.
Lunchables. Vegan cheese and meats with crackers
Gf waffles with sausage

If you are on Facebook there’s some great vegan lunchbox groups I get tons of ideas from.

@lc94fsh Oo, I'm definitely going to try the tofu skewers. I bet he'd love food on sticks, too. He loves quesadillas, so I’ll give those a try too. Thanks!

@missy945 Hummus with pita or veggies, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, trail mix with nuts, plain nuts, peas or sugar snap peas, quinoa with veggies. Cold salads are great for lunches; pasta salad, bean salad, chickpea salad.

Back