Unfollowed OurSignedWorld

@writergirlrs Many of my best friends are onlys (40+ yr old women) and I haven't ever heard a single one say they truly wish they had siblings. Maybe an odd "I wonder what it would have been like" but nothing more than passing.

@writergirlrs I was just saying to my mum how I feel guilty for wanting more, I most likely won't due to various reasons but in a perfect world I would. As an only child, THERE IS NO REAL DOWN SIDE TO BEING AN ONLY. Lonely as an adult? So are adults with siblings. Caring for your parent(s) alone? So are many adults with capable siblings. Your parents, and particularly your mother does not owe you her body, her career, her mental health and literally risk her life to give you a sibling you may still like when you grow up. Those only children are selfish and don't view their mother as anything but an incubator. I don't trust them.

@writergirlrs Trust no influencer lol. There was another OAD IG account that went through something similar recently. She had such a crazy backlash for saying they were reconsidering though. She basically back pedaled and announced they are staying OAD. She even deleted the post about second guessing her family size. I found the whole thing weird, like why is the whole Internet involved in this discussion?

@writergirlrs Oh god I saw the lady that said people don’t regret having kids on their page. It gave me ptsd because a counselor told me that same thing as I was going through major depression during my pregnancy. Ya I was a bit shocked at their announcement too. They said they aren’t sure yet but it sounds like maybe they are set on having another after announcing it to social media.

@writergirlrs I don't understand the appeal of more than one kid! This shit is so hard lol.

Being responsible for one human life is more than enough for me, thanks. My kiddo keeps saying her friend from daycare is her sister. That's fine by me, she knows mommy and daddy can't and won't have another baby. I'm sure the conversation will come up more as she gets older though

@writergirlrs I have aging parents that need my help, and while I do have a sister who lives locally, she doesn't do shit to help. So in that regard, I may as well be an only child.

At least if I WERE actually and only child, I wouldn't have this resentment about the ordeal.

@writergirlrs You have to protect your mental health. Nothing wrong with that. A couple years ago a friend on Facebook announced her 3rd pregnancy and I unfollowed her for a while. Not because I wanted a second child but because at times I do miss being pregnant. I started following her again after her baby was born because I do not miss having a newborn. Lol.

I just couldn't deal with seeing all the happy pregnancy posts everyday. It just wasn't good for my mental health and left me with a strong feeling of FOMO.

@writergirlrs People are so FOS! I have a brother. We have an OK relationship. He doesn't help me AT ALL with our mother & he didn't help his other sister AT ALL when their father was dying. I have no qualms about raising my daughter as an only child.

@writergirlrs (Came here from your most recent post lol)

I resonate with this post. I’ve followed OurSignedWorld for a long time and always felt a kinship with the OAD decision as it reflected what I wanted my family structure to look like. I especially enjoyed how they were willing to be so vocal about it and standing up for their decision. Now I’m wondering if maybe they were just trying to convince themselves.

No hate to them and I’m not saying people can’t change their minds, but I definitely get a weird disquieted feeling from the sudden change after being so adamant about OAD. Undecided as to if I’ll unfollow or not.

Back