Tula Explore vs Free to grow

ioanc

Hi all, I've spent the last 2 days getting more and more lost in the world of baby wearing and could really use some help.

My 5 month old has lived in my Freerider wraps over the past few months. He's quite small (9%) but he's getting heavier and it's starting to take a toll on my back when we go for long walks.

I'm very happy still using my cloth wraps at home and for short distances. I also got gifted a Tula lite, which he doesn't quite fit into yet and I've gathered is more of an "extra". As baby wearing is such a big part of my life with bub, I'm keen to get another. I've narrowed it down to the Tula Explore or FTG. I'm not looking to wear baby front-facing much if ever (my hubby is keen but I'm aware of the risks), but do want a good carrier that will get us through to 3-4yo if possible. And one that won't mess with my back too much.

Which one would you recommend?

@ioanc A standard Tula will last until 2 yrs or longer, babies usually don't fit in them until about 6 months. They only front and back carry. If baby is petite, it is likely he won't fit in it right now, unless he is quite tall.

Neither Explore or FTG is likely to last until 3-4 yrs old (actually probably no buckle carrier that starts at newborn will go that far). They both generally run a little smaller than the standard because they have the snapping buttons and are a newborn to toddler carrier.

If you don't want to forward face, the FTG is generally more loved. The Explore is basically an Ergo 360, which is also well loved, but not exactly a unique carrier like the FTG and Standards are. If baby is petite you might make it to 18 months or 2 years with it. After that, you would start looking into a toddler carrier like a Toddler Tula.

Oh meant to say that a standard Tula is pretty easy to find used at about $40. If baby is 9 percent in height it may be longer until you can use it (I've heard some say their baby didn't fit until 9 months old). It is simpler than the other two, no snaps or cinching because it is not meant for newborns. I really loved it for a quick back carry around 1 yr old.

My boy who was average or a little under (40ish percent) lasted in it until 3 yrs old. The fit is all in leg length.

@ioanc Either would work. The FTG has a better panel because it adjusts with straps as opposed to the explore which only has two settings. They probably won't last for 3-4 years unless your baby is super tiny.

Back