TTC in 6 months. Doing research on cloth diaper stash and have questions

lailoved

As the title says, my SO and I will be TTC in August and I've recently found out that the daycares in our area accept cloth diapers. Can I get some input on my possible cloth diaper stash? I haven't decided yet whether I like the cheapness of the prefolds/covers or the ease of pockets/AI2/AIOs so I'm going to include a possible stash of each. Tips, changes, you name it are welcome. In case it matters, I will not be a SAHM. My SO and I will continue to work. We have a HE Whirlpool top load washer with bulky setting, deep water wash setting, multiple rinse settings, multiple temperature settings. The extra laundry isn't an issue for either of us. He's already a hands on parent to his son (he has custody). My goal would also be to start cloth diapering immediately after being released from the hospital.

Another important piece of information. My family doesn't make small babies. I was 8 lb 2 oz. My sister was 9 lb 4 oz. My sister had 2 boys - one was 9 lb 15 oz the other was 9 lb 5 oz. My SO's son was over 8 lbs when he was born. So when we have a baby, I'm not expecting a 6 pounder. So that should be factored into this list.

Prefold/Cover Stash Idea

Capri Diaper Cover Size 1

Thirsties Due Wrap Cover Size 1

Rumparooz Newborn Size Diaper Cover

Imagine Newborn Diaper Cover (x2)

Blueberry Mini Coverall Diaper Cover

Nicki's Diapers Newborn Diaper Cover (x4)

Imagine "Smart Fit" Bamboo Prefolds 6 pack Size Small

Cloth-eez Prefolds 12 pack Newborn Size (x2), Small Size (x2), Medium Size (x2), X-Large (x1)

Snappi 3 pack

OsoCozy flannel baby wipes 15 pack (x2)

Hemp doublers Size Small (x2), size Long (x2)

Planet Wise diaper pail liner (x2) (for home)

Planet Wise Hanging Wet/Dry Bag (large size) (x2) (for daycare)

Planet Wise small wet bag (for wipes)

Planet Wise Wet/Dry Bag (small) (x2) (for on the go)

Blueberry Coveralls Diaper Cover One-Size (x2)

Nicki's Diapers One-Size Diaper Cover (x4)

Bummis Simply Lite One-Size Diaper Cover

Capri Diaper Cover Size 2

Thirsties Duo Wrap Size 2 (x2)

Imagine "Smart Fit" Bamboo prefolds 6 pack Size Medium, Size Large

Disana wool pull-over cover (for nighttime) size Small, size Medium, size Large

Cloth-eez Workhorse Fitted (for nighttime) size Small (x2), size Medium (x2), size Large (x2), size X-Large (x2)

Pockets/AI2 Stash

AppleCheeks Envelope Cover Size 1

AppleCheeks Envelope Cover Size 2

AppleCheeks One-Size Envelope Cover (x3)

Rumparooz One-Size Pocket Diaper

Funky Fluff 3-in-1 Diaper (x3)

bumGenius 5.0 One-Size Pocket Diaper (x2)

Best Bottoms One-Size Diaper

Lalaby One-Size (x2)

Imagine 2.0 One-Size AI2 Shell

GroVia One-Size Shell

Imagine One-Size Pocket

Kawaii One-Size Pocket

Nicki's Diapers One-Size Pocket (x2)

Thirsties One-Size Pocket (x2)

Kawaii One-Size Bamboo Pocket (x2)

FuzziBunz One-Size Pocket (x2)

Blueberry One-Size Pocket (x2)

Kawaii Goodnight Heavy Wetter Pocket (x2)

Disana wool pull-on cover size Small, size Medium, size Large (for nighttime)

Cloth-eez Workhorse Fitted (for nighttime) size Small (x2), size Medium (x2), size Large (x2), size X-Large (x2)

Cloth-eez Doublers 12 pack - size small (x2), size Large (x2)

Hemp doublers - size Small (x2), size Long (x2)

Best Bottom inserts (hemp/cotton) size Small (x3), size Medium (x3), size Large (x3)

Best Bottom inserts (hemp/cotton overnight) size small (x2), size medium (x2), size large (x2)

Imagine AI2 insert 3 pack size 1, size 2

AppleCheeks bamboo inserts 2 pack (x2)

Grovia soak pads 2 pack

AIO Stash

Imagine Newborn Stay-Dry AIO (x3)

Imagine 2.0 Newborn Bamboo AIO (x3)

GroVia Newborn AIO (x2)

Simplex Newborn AIO (x2)

Sweet Pea Newborn AIO (x2)

Nicki's Diapers Newborn Bamboo AIO (x4 snaps, x4 aplix)

Nicki's Diapers Ultimate Newborn AIO (x4 snaps, x2 aplix)

Lil Joey's AIO 2 pack (x2)

bumGenius Freetime AIO One-Size (x3)

Thirsties AIO One-Size (x3)

Nicki's Diapers AIO One-Size Bamboo (x8)

Nicki's Diapers Ultimate AIO One-Size (x10)

Imagine 2.0 AIO One-Size Bamboo (x3)

Imagine AIO Stay-Dry One-Size (x3)

Disana wool pull-over cover (for nighttime) size small, size medium, size large

Cloth-eez Workhorse fitted (for nighttime), size small (x2), size medium (x2), size large (x2), size x-large (x2)

Cloth-eez doublers 12 pack size small (x2), size large (x2)

Hemp doublers size small (x2), size long (x2)

Cost isn't necessarily an issue. The prefold stash is estimated at $980. The pocket/AI2 stash is estimated at $1,230. The AIO stash is estimated at $1,340. So thoughts, opinions, critiques are the 3 different stashes? I'm not sold on any one particular stash, but luckily I have some time before I will start buying stuff up.

I'm probably way overcomplicated things but I tried to take into consideration everything I've read on this thread - try all kinds of brands because you don't know what will work, try bamboo/hemp/cotton because they are super absorbant vs microfiber, fitteds and wool are great for nighttime, etc.

@lailoved Look, I'm really sorry to be the person to tell you this, but I'd strongly advise you against doing any of this until you at least see baby's heartbeat at 7 weeks. Even "normal" fertile people have only a 15-25% chance of getting pregnant per cycle, and a 10-20% chance of miscarriage after this. You're setting yourself up for a lot of stress by pre preparing, and if god forbid you end up being one of us on /r/infertility you'll have even more heartbreak.

The 8.5 months after you see the heartbeat is more than enough time to pick the perfect stash...

@lailoved If you want cheap and easy I would say Alva pockets are your best bet. You can get 30 printed diapers with 60 inserts for around $200. This is what the bulk of our stash is and I have never had a single issue (we use their regular microfiber and a bamboo). There are custom design groups so you can get super cute prints and they work 10x better than my bumGenius, Best Bottoms, Apple Cheeks and Imagines. The only think I like more are Bella Luna pockets and Nerdy Mommas Aios. Alva also makes aios, but i havent tried them.

Also I would suggest going cheap and not buying a whole stash until baby is here. You never know what brand you will like (snaps, fit, material, etc) and newborn disposables are cheap enough (and you will probably get some if you have a shower) that its worth it to buy those while you determine what style works best for you.

@lailoved Just going off the newborn stage, your newborn AIO/AI2 stash is insane. Just buy a few of these in the newborn size, your baby might never fit in them at all.

I did have a 6 lb baby, and she was out of the Rumparoos within a month, the other newborn AIOs in two months. I bought six Lil Joeys because they were my favorite patterns, I think she got to wear them maybe 10 times. Expensive mistake.

I can't stand my baby to be wet at all. With a one month old, I did 30 diaper changes in one day -- I counted because that's all the diapers I had. In retrospect, for the newborn stage I would have started with a few AIOs I could lay out nicely for daddy to diaper or to do in the middle of the night, and used just mostly newborn prefolds for the frequent small changes all day. With newborns, there is no "night." When you get a couple extra hours sleep in, a regular size AIO will be bulky but will easily hold all of it.

I get the urge to feel like it is all done and all, but maybe fill that urge with prefolds and covers at the newborn stage. You can also get the newborn AIOs used in great shape, because they fit for such a short period of time. During the newborn phase, you have plenty of time to work out how cloth works for you, maybe you don't want to use cloth at night at all, so all this wool and specialized nighttime stuff is a waste of money. You won't know what's right for your family until you're in it. Also, the last thing you need is a daycare that only accept Bumgenius AIOs and you bought this mess of fifteen different kinds.

@lailoved The only thing I would point out is that since you'll be in daycare, they may only accept AIO or pockets (I.e. one-step changes, like a disposable) - for legal reasons.

We use flats/prefolds and covers at home and pockets or AIO for other caregivers. A hybrid stash may end up being best.

I strongly encourage you not to buy your entire stash before baby arrives. I understand the urge - and I have the spreadsheets to prove it - but trust me on this. Get a newborn stash with a bit of variety to figure out what types and brands you like. It will actually make your life easier if you're not totally committed beforehand!

Back