Took a Plan B and had unprotected sex a few days later

oldsam

Hello, I’m a little confused need advice or opinions, I couldn’t find the answers I needed so I figured I’d ask for myself. So backstory, I’ve been on birth control for years and decided to get off in August. Currently I’m seeing someone and we’re having unprotected sex. Today is day 14 of my cycle, I took a Plan B on day 9 because for lack of better words his “pullout game” is not “strong”. Anyways I’m having withdrawal bleeding from the plan b, I’ve bled for the past 2 days.
The problem is we’ve had sex the past 3 days with little to no pullout. I read online that plan b delays ovulation. I’m worried that I’m at risk of becoming pregnant, but since I’ve been bleeding does that mean the ovulation hasn’t happened, and could it still happen and the sperm is still in there for the next few days? I also read somewhere that the lining is shedding during the withdrawal bleeding so implantation won’t happen? I haven’t taken a plan B since that first time.

@oldsam Yes you’re at risk of getting pregnant, you’re having unprotected sex. Plan B isn’t a cure all or birth control. It’s for emergencies. Plan B is for one instance of sex and you have to take it after sex.

There’s a max 30% chance per cycle. If you don’t want to get pregnant you need to take another ASAP or better yet get an IUD inserted as emergency contraception. Stop having unprotected sex if you don’t want to get pregnant and use a condom or get back on birth control.

@oldsam Yeah, so this how is you get pregnant. You're at risk. Plan B does not cover you for up to x amount of days, if it does cover you at all. It's meant for emergencies, like a condom breaking.

You need to either get him to wear a condom or get on some sort of birth control. Or just not have sex.

A side effect of Plan B is bleeding, and that's why you're bleeding. It does not mean you ovulated.

Once you take Plan B, you don't know when you'll ovulate again. It could be 5 days after, it could be two weeks, it could be two months. It's a waiting game. That's why it's meant for emergencies.

@oldsam You're at risk of getting pregnant. I'm going to break it down in an oversimplified way.

The way plan b works is: If you haven't already ovulated, it will spike your hormones and prevent you from ovulating for the next 5 or so days so that the sperm inside you can die without being fertilizing an egg.

Taking emergency contraception and then having unprotected sex is not going to offer protection going forward because sperm can live inside you for up to five days after ejaculation. Since Plan B only provide the most powerful protection for up to three to five days post-sex, having unprotected sex after taking Plan B basically means the sperm might outlast the pill's most effective window.

The bleeding does not mean you've ovulated, when you take Plan B your cycle can be very messed up and it's hard to estimate when you will ovulated next. And though Plan B can make the lining of your uterus more inhospitable so a fertilized egg can't implant, it cannot terminate an already implanted and fertilized egg.

I would suggest start protecting yourself during sex (condoms, birth control, not plan b) and in 14-21 days, take a test.