Toddler ABC activities

extreme_zeal777

I’ve decided since we are stuck indoors anyways to start teaching letter sounds to my 3 yo. He already knows all of the capital letters and how to spell his name so I’m working on the sounds and lower case letters. Each day we work on a different letter. We do a craft/ activity starting with the letter and make a snack/treat. Thought I would share this in case any other mamas (or dads) are struggling with entertainment.

A- apple donuts (cut apples into rings, dip in chocolate and add sprinkles), paint with apples

B- banana bread, bubble painting (put bubble solution and food coloring in cup, give toddler straw and blow bubbles, pop the bubbles on a piece of paper)

C- c shaped sugar cookies, cut paper snowflakes

D- donuts (I’m being optimistic about being this ambitious it may be a complete fail), dinosaur shadow tracing (place lamp by dinosaurs to create shadow on paper, let toddler trace the shadow)

E- éclairs (again trying to be optimistic it will work), elephant paper bag puppets

F- fruit leather, finger painting

G- goldfish crackers, gingerbread paper kid (create a cut out paper person for toddler to decorate with yarn, extra fabric, googling eyes, etc)

H- hummus, hats made out of paper

I- ice cream, box/ pillow igloos

J- juice, jumping obstacle course

K- kettle corn, king (paper crown)

L- laughing cow cheese spread and crackers, lion mask (made out of construction paper and paper plate)

M- muffins, marble art (put a few spots of paint on a piece of paper in a box and put some marbles in the box, roll the marbles around to spread the paint)

N- naan, noodle necklaces (string hollow noodles on yarn)

O- Oreos, scrap octopus (octopus made from fabric scraps)

P- popsicles, play-doh

Q- quesadilla, quilt for stuffed animals (made from paper or fabric)

R- Rice Krispies, rabbit made from socks and stuffing

S- scones, straw painting (similar to marble art but instead of using marbles use straws to blow the paint around)

T- tarts, tea party

U- upside down cake, color umbrella picture

V- veggie chips, volcano (baking soda and vinegar volcano)

W- waffles, wands (sticks with ribbon glued to it)

X- X-ray sticks (bread sticks shaped like bones), X-ray body (use q tips, pretzel sticks or tooth picks to glue inside a person shape like bones)

Y- yogurt fruit dip, yarn crafts

Z- zucchini bread, zoo for toys (cardboard box with holes cut to look like bars).

@extreme_zeal777 Love it!

There’s also a phonics song that you can find on YouTube. It goes through each letter. “A is for Apple. A-a-a-a-apple. B is for ball. Buh-buh-buh-buh-ball.” You can sing that all day too and just sub in all your words for the objects.

@joint_praise Have Fun Teaching also has a phonetic alphabet song where they just show a picture of the letter and say the sound. My son sings along with it so it definitely works

Back