Today I decided to stop parenting my spouse

@bpolst I learned within a few years of my marriage (like you about 8 I think!! ha ha) ..that if someone has the main issue about it...it is kinda their problem. For example...when it was the night for hubby to do dishes...he waited. I want them done RIGHT AWAY....and want to see them in the sink. Sort of my issue right? He would do them...on his time and I was always trying to control "when". So we figured where we had our "issues" and decided either we compromise or we do that chore. So...I do dishes. He hates how I leave laundry in the dryer and let it wrinkle...HIS issue..so he does his own laundry (that took about 10 years to figure out) I was not going to care about wrinkly clothes...i had two littles to worry about.

The last thing my hubby needs is me treating him like a child- so has been easier to go with the flow and learn to love him with all those little flaws and all...same for him. If he cared about how messy my closet was....I'd be in trouble. My house is super clean...but look under the sink in my bathroom or in my closet you see the disaster there. ha ha. He never said much but HE is super neat so I know deep down it has to bother him. He keeps it to himself and I'll organize once a week when it gets too much!

Have fun with the new perspective- also...I learned about 12 years in to really stop and be reminded of all the great things that hubby does. I tended to sit in all the "things he didn't do" and once I changed that it really helped our marriage so much more. Just grateful for him. After all...I have all my issues too. My hubby just never tried to parent me...which was another reason I love him. ha ha.

@bpolst We used to get in laundry arguments and moved to each of us doing our own laundry, it's MUCH better! Just get a split hamper and boom.

Kiddos clothes are usually her own load with cloth diapers but we'll also do them with whoever is doing a load if we need something cleaned

@bpolst Awesome!

It took me 20 years to learn this. In my defense, he was active duty and deployed for the majority of 15 years.

For us, life is better this way.

Good luck!

@bpolst I wash husbands shirts and leave them unfolded on his side of the (made) bed. It’s up to him to do something with them before he goes to sleep!

@bpolst Next step: stop doing his laundry completely and make that manchild do it himself.

He sounds like someone who has to “babysit” his kids sometimes.

Back