The studies for the "50 ml breastmilk per day is enough to show benefits" claim?

This talks about microbiome diversity, not related to breastfeeding:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18871-1

My personal take on it is that breastfeeding/pumping probably do contribute to microbiome diversity, but so do a lot of other things. So if you can breastfeed or pump, and it works for you and your life, great! But if you don't want to/can't, then there are still other things to do to help your babe have a diverse microbiome, like feeding them lots of fruits and veggies and less sugary drinks.

----------------------Excerpt:
For measured lifestyle factors, we found strong evidence for associations between physical activity and microbiome diversity, with both the frequency (i.e., number of days per week) and duration of physical activity positively correlated with microbiome diversity. Eating more servings of fruits, vegetables, and cruciferous vegetables was also positively correlated with diversity, while increased consumption of sugary drinks was negatively correlated with diversity. Lastly, indicators of poor bowel health, such as the weekly frequency of diarrhea, nausea, and acid reflux, were negatively associated with microbiome diversity (see Supplementary Data 2 for a full list of association results).

I think that there's a lot we don't know about breastfeeding yet, but I hope they study more about the microbiome. It's interesting!

@jesuslovesme527 Thank you! Been combo feeding up to my LOs last vaccine but have been slowly losing supply over time and now I feel it’s okay to let things go. Always thought it would help pass immunity but I guess maybe not so much.

@jesuslovesme527 Am I reading this right that the first study didn’t control for any parental characteristics? Income level or education? It’s an observational study so if not, then imho they shouldn’t be concluding anything.

@jesuslovesme527 I've been feeding my baby only 3-4 oz of breast milk per day and she's only had 1 out of at least 10 viruses her big sister has brought home from preschool this year. I can't say for sure it's the breast milk but her siblings literally cough and even spit on her. Everyone else in the house is sick but her.