Tandem Hiking with Gear

jordan1275

Looking for some advice on tandem options for hiking with my 3yo and newborn.

*Toddler will need ups and downs throughout.
*Need space for toddler water bottle and snacks (and possibly a small notebook) either in the carrier or pack of some kind.
*We have a framed Osprey carrier but I don’t love the bulk for daily use. Looking for something that will be more portable.
*I am fairly petite at 5’ tall

I have:
Stretchy wrap (currently using comfortably with newborn)
K’tan (favorite when toddler was 0-8 months)
Meh dai (favorite for 8+ months)
Ergo SSC
Onbuhimo
Not opposed to buying a new (~$100) carrier if there is a better option for me since we are out a few times a week.

Today we tried the stretchy + SSC + giant fanny pack for snacks and water. It felt like a lot of bulk everywhere and just very cumbersome.

What other combinations would you all recommend I test out?

@jordan1275 Do you have an onbuhimo? I would try the ktan with the newborn and onbuhimo for the toddler, hopefully less bulk on the back/shoulders.

Maybe try around the house to see how it feels before going hiking. Are you wearing the fanny pack backwards?

@richgsr7 Will try that combo! I do have one… just not super comfortable using it yet. The Onbuhimo was a gift while I was pregnant but the toddler staged a baby wearing strike so I didn’t get much practice… strike is, of course, over now that baby is getting worn :)
I tried the Fanny pack on the back under the SSC but could probably fit under baby too.

@jordan1275 I've never tandem carried but I have used all of those carrier types except the ktan.

I'd go for the onbuhimo and stretchy wrap (maybe the ktan, I haven't used one but I know there's a lot in common with a stretchy wrap).

Onbuhimo is great for quick ups and downs, a lot less bulky than the SSC, and fewer straps to manage than the meh dai.

Stretchy wrap is nice because you can put it on once and pop your newborn in and out as needed.

I think you're stuck with the giant fanny pack, I don't see what else you can do for your stuff unless you have a cross-body bag you want to carry to one side (but that sounds annoying and lopsided to me, I'd stick with giant fanny pack).

@alexander7791 Definitely seems the Onbuhimo might be the secret weapon here… need to do some practice!

IMO The k’tan is awesome for not having tails drag while putting on/adjusting a muddy path, but stretchy is just so nice while they are tiny. Will have to test both.

Back