Tailbone pain-tips?

biblicism

I’m almost 7 months postpartum and still have excruciating tailbone pain. It definitely gets worse after I sit for a while, but sometimes I can’t avoid sitting. Anyone out there experience something similar/ have any treatments that helped?
I’m considering a chiropractor or physical therapist but don’t want to spend a lot of $$ if I can help it, and would rather do something effective first.

Thanks 😊🙏🏼

@biblicism It's very likely due to your pelvic floor, so I would recommend seeing a pelvic floor therapist. A good one can actually adjust your tailbone and pull it up. In the meantime definitely get yourself a tailbone cushion and make sure to sit forward on your sit bones as often as possible, rather than leaning back and putting undue pressure on your coccyx.

@biblicism I had horrendous tailbone pain. I saw a pelvic floor pt who said there are ligaments from the pelvic floor attached to the tailbone. I had to do a fair amount of stretching due to second degree tear, but the pain gradually healed. IMO pelvic floor pt is the way to go.

@nicholaste Basically perineal stretching people do prior to giving birth. Thinking of the inner portion of the vaginal opening as a clock and applying pressure to each “number” of the clock, while relaxing.

@biblicism I would highly recommend seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist! But I also had this in my first pregnancy, and sitting with a rolled up towel in a U shape across the seat under where my tailbone was really helped. There are special cushions you can get to take some pressure. Google coccydynia and have a read!

@biblicism So in addition to seeing a pelvic floor physio, sitting on an exercise ball chair strengthens the ligaments that attach to your tailbone. Highly recommend. It's hard to sit on it for a full day at first, you need to break it in, but it's amazing once you do!

@biblicism I am just four weeks post partum and had a c section for the second time. The recovery this time has been extremely slow and since the second week I’ve had terrible tail bone pain everytime I sit. I never had this the first time around but this time everything hurts. Any suggestions would be lovely !

@bluebirdsong I took everyone’s suggestion and reached out to a pelvic floor therapist. It’s going to cost a little $$ but I’m hopeful it’ll work. I can’t enjoy life and need it to be healed!
I have found ibuprofen temporarily helps if it’s really bad. Icing it helps a little and I also try to sit more forward then straight on my tailbone

Back