Suggestions for strollers for tall parents!

jarno

Hello! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in August. We have just about everything we need on our registry, but the only item we are unsure about is a stroller. I’m 5’5” so any stroller will do for me, but my husband is 6’5” and worries about the stroller handle height being adequate for him. He says that the height of shopping cart handles are uncomfortable for him, for comparison. So we’re trying to find one that has an adjustable handle height. We have seen a couple while out and about that look like they adjust, but it’s not really a filter option when looking online so it takes so long to search for…so asking if anyone over 6 feet has stroller suggestions that we’re comfortable for them! Granted we haven’t gone to a store to feel any out in person yet, but plan to soon. Thank you!

@jarno My husband is 6’9”.

Look for strollers where the handlebar is adjustable and telescoping, not ones where the adjustment is achieved by pivoting the handle up and down. The pivoting adjustment means that a tall user must stand closer to the stroller (due to pivoting the handle up rather than out), and is counterproductive. The last thing a tall person wants is to stand even closer to the stroller, and therefore trip over it with their long legs.

After much research, we went with the Cybex Gazelle S, which has a maximum handlebar height among the highest we found. The UppaBaby Vista was another serious contender.

@kbupdike I'm 6'0" and the Vista could be a bit taller for me. Not sure if others get higher or if this is as good as it gets, but I'd check it out first for sure.

@jarno My husband is 6’6” and we have the Uppababy Vista. The maximum height setting is perfect for him, and the minimum works for me (I’m 5’3” 😂)

Thank you all so much! This has been extremely helpful! Now I know the term telescoping handle lol!

@jarno We have a BOB running stroller, the one with the adjustable handle. It’s a bit bulky for an every day stroller, but if you have the room then 10/10 recommend. I’m 6’ and the rest of my family is taller than me and they all love it. Including my 6’6 brother. For a smaller footprint (like the opposite extreme of the BOB lol) get the babyzen yoyo2. We used ours daily in a city for months, walking at least 6-8 miles on rough sidewalks and up and down off curbs. It held up like a champ. It’s also super easy to fold, comes with a shoulder strap to carry, and I think weighs like 6 pounds. The BOB we got used off Craigslist, the yoyo2 we bought new. Good luck!!

@jarno I’m 6’6”. We went with the Uppababy vista.

In addition to handle bar height I found that a key requirement was no bar/tube connecting the 2 back wheels. With my long legs I ended up kicking that part on all the strollers with it.

@jarno If you have a Buy Buy Baby store near you, I'd check that out before they all close as part of Bed Bath and Beyond company bankruptcy. Their stores vary in size by location but typically have many more floor models than big box retailers. If you have a large Buy Buy Baby, they'll easily have 50-75 strollers on display compared to maybe 10 at a Target.

As for us, I'm 6'2" and we use a BOB Alterrain as our main walking/running stroller in the neighborhood. Grandpa is 6'4" and still finds it comfortable with the handle all the way up. We use an Uppababy G-Luxe as our "in-car" stroller. It folds up to about half the size of the BOB and is considered one of the best travel/umbrella strollers for tall parents. I generally think that's true unless you live in a hilly area. I took it to the zoo the other day and had to walk down a fairly steep hill and the handles, for the first time, felt significantly too low.

@jarno Semi related: if you’re planning to have a tall baby, keep in mind that sometimes length limits are more important than weight limits. For example my son grew out of diaper sizes way before he reached the recommended weight range. Also even though he should have 10 more lbs to go in his infant car seat, he already maxed out the height limit so we had to swap to a toddler seat.

Back