Strength Training advice for SAHP

green5

Hi All,

I’ve randomly decided to make this next season my “Summer of Strength”!

What recommendations for strength training do you have?

Short Version:
  • I’m looking for a program/book/background/inspiration that is flexible and uses mostly kettlebells/dumbbells.
  • Flexible: I have a gym membership with childcare, but my kid frequently poops in the window we go to the gym. So sometimes I can have a perfect X times a week schedule, but often I’m cobbling together chucks of time and may need to workout back-to-back days, or will go 5 days without being able to do weights. What I’m envisioning is something where there are 10 min “chunks” i can string together based on how the day is going
  • Kettlebells/dumbells- this is mostly preference. I like to grab my stuff and blast through it in a corner without looking if machines are available.
Background:
  • 38 F
  • 2 years post partum, and a year out from abdominal surgery
  • I love trail running, but its getting kinda hot for that! Being stronger for that, and for my ever-growing child is my goal!

@green5
but my kid frequently poops in the window we go to the gym

Sorry, but I don’t understand why this is a problem. When that happens at my gym, they just text me and I go change her, and then I go workout again. Why wouldn’t that work for you? What about your kid pooping prevents you from going to or staying at the gym?

Also, how is your kid regular enough that they poop every day at the same general time?

@cgpb The pooping issue is entirely emotional- my kid has a hard time with the drop offs, so when he poops, I usually call the workout over and go home with him rather than navigate the crying/clinging etc as I leave him in daycare again...

You are right, if this is a priority for me this summer, I have the option to go back to working out!

(Your name is soooooo appropriate to responding to this part of the comment, lol)

@green5 I dunno if this will work for / help you but Imma throw it out here.

I started taking my kid to the gym daycare around 16 months, first couple go rounds were rough. A friend suggested talking more about it to my kid. Oddly it helped. "I'm going to drop you off, workout, and I will be back."

In your case... what if you did a sort of "hey, kid, if you poop, they'll have me come get you, I'll get you changed, give you some cuddles, and then I will go back to working out for another 15 minutes."

@isaiahak7 Its good advice, and what I try and do already. It does jack-all for daycare drop-off at the moment (but does help in situations where he is home with Dad, so yes, good all around advice)

@green5 I've been enjoying the Expecting & Empowered app. I paid about $75 for a year's subscription but it has postpartum strength workouts, yoga for postpartum, running programs and group challenges. They also have an entire prenatal program which I did throughout my second pregnancy and it really helped.

The strength workouts are broken down by arms, legs, and full body and go in a circuit style. I do everything from my living room and get a good sweat within 30 minutes. Well, I only go to 8lbs bc I'm a weenie, but you can easily up your weights. I'm 36 and 9mo PP.

@green5 Yeah! They actually have a vaginal OR cesarean delivery program, though I’m sure that’s for the early weeks postpartum.

@green5 I use my kid as a kettlebell. He loves kettlebell squats and lifts his knees so I can keep doing them even though he is taller.

I lay on my back with him on my shins and do leg lifts. Or horsey rides lol.

@valentinap Yeah! Honestly. Our kids are our most-accessible, always-there, weights! 💪 We're just starting to get into horsey rides now. 😁

Being a SAHP is exhausting, constantly moving, always someone or something to pick up and carry... 🥵

But like the easiest way to get into strength training is to lift your kid, lol.... @green5

@green5 Personally if the poop situation is interfering that much that you can't even use the gym that you pay for them I would dump the gym and invest in a few kettlebells and/or weights. We have about $400 worth of both (so a fraction of what a gym costs) in our garage turned gym. If you have room for it in a safe clear space go for it. I personally use peloton for my strength training (I'm currently doing their split programs, which have been great so far) while my husband found some solid kettlebell routines in the kettlebell sub, I believe. He does his routine while watching whatever sport is in season. We also have room for a pull up bar, which I literally hang on for about 30 seconds-a minute to include grip strength as well.

If you really rather the gym, then I wouldn't even take the kid into the daycare part until they use the potty once you got there. Then explain that you'll be back in 30 minutes. I wouldn't promise any less than that so that you can at least get a solid session in. I would have the kid bring their comfort creatures, whether it's their go to book, a stuffy, or whatever. Something that they go retreat to if they get anxious. I would even practice leaving while at home. Make it silly and fun for them to leave. And finally, provide an incentive for being so brave. Maybe they get their favorite snack for being brave at the gym. Maybe it's ice cream or a donut or they get to pick dinner. Giving them a choice in the matter can help a lot.

@green5 @beforethebarbell on Instagram got me started on strength training as a long time runner. It’s a free 8 weeks program by @megsquats. From there, I gifted myself a year of her app stronger by the day.

@green5 Highly recommend @getmomstrong on Instagram. She has lots of free reels there, though I do use her paid program which is 🔥 you can totally do it at the gym if you continue to go or like others have suggested invest in some home workout equipment like dumbbells and bands (that's what is used most in this program)

Back