(Spoiler: Funny) The DANGERS of bed-sharing šŸ‘æ

yummymummy5

No one warns you that you and your toddler will accidentally build a positive sleep-association to each other and every time you have a little cuddle on the bed or the couch, your toddler will nod off and take naps at the wrong time. And then you will have to fight your own eyelids from closing.

Oops.

I just read a post on another subreddit that made me sad, so I thought Iā€™d make this post. Does anyone have any funny ā€œwarningsā€ and anecdotes to share?

@justauser My 15 month old has only just started kisses, though sheā€™s been doing hugs and headbutts for ages now. But my friends 14 month old has been doing kisses since 11 months.

@yummymummy5 No one will tell you that you'll go from liking your own space in bed to looking forward to their small body pressed up, on, over yours. My husband came in one night to find the cat asleep on my legs and the baby draped across my upper chest, like some kind of toddler shawl. He laughed quietly and walked out, as I somehow fell asleep like that

@sharkdive1 When we started bed sharing I couldnā€™t wait until it was time for my daughter to start sleeping in her own bedā€¦now Iā€™m in no rush šŸ˜‚ I found that I canā€™t sleep without her pressed up against me now

@fightingbull542 Same - I worried so much about bed sharing at first, and what it would mean going forward. We've got a sidecar crib that was used until he was about 4/5 months, and I keep thinking about using it again but I don't really want to. I love having him this close.

@elliot44 He used to be perfectly fine sleeping next to me, but around the time I went back to work, he started to crawl on top of me and stay there most of the night. I'm guessing it was because he missed me. I'm amazed at how well I sleep like that.

@sharkdive1 My son just started doing it in the past few weeks to get to sleep. I love it. Please give me all the snuggles lol. It really is crazy how comforting it is. I could definitely see it being because he misses you!

@sharkdive1 Ugh I love napping with my kitty and 3 month old. Kitty doesnā€™t bother her and just lays by my legs while sheā€™s on my chest or next to me. When heā€™s near us Iā€™m always awake but itā€™s so cute šŸ„ŗ my MIL was always telling me to get rid of my kitty when I was pregnant and iā€™m glad i didnā€™t listen

@rigogpu My brother told me to get the cat used to sleeping outside of the bedroom, as he'd be a suffocation risk to the baby. I'd done a load of research and found no evidence of cats suffocating babies, plus the cat had briefly lived with my neice when she was an infant - he didn't go near her because she terrified him. That was exactly how it was with my son - he's 14 months now and the cat is a bit more comfortable with him, but still doesn't go closer.

My husband also slept in a different room until our son was around 6/7 months, so the cat slept with him & even now the cat mostly sleeps with him. Which makes me a little sad, as I used to be the one he'd cuddle with at night.

I'm so glad you didn't listen to your MIL. I think there's a lot of fear around pets and babies, but 90% of the time it's fine as long as they're supervised.

@rigogpu My MIL tried to tell me the same with our three cats, said that I wouldn't "love them the same" when LO was born (she's almost 2yo now).

One cat won't sleep in the bed because the other two are mean girls, and the other two only sleep on my legs now. But all of us take our nap in the same room every day. All of the cats are patient with LO and LO is super compassionate and gentle with them.

MIL wasn't pleased when she found out I was still wildly protective of my cats- and LO is too. Now she says I spoil all of them too much.

@yummymummy5 I just got ripped apart for defending cosleeping in another sub. Definitely needed this.

No one warns you that youā€™ll be gently woken up in the middle of the night by your baby snuggling into your neck.

Back