Should I switch my 5 year olds pre k from play based to structured?

@caa55 I’m a first grade teacher and used to work in daycare. The play-based preschool you’re describing honestly doesn’t sound like a play-based preschool at all. Play-based doesn’t just mean rotating through different toys; kids should actually be learning through the play. It doesn’t sound like that’s happening right now. I’d be very frustrated with a program that hasn’t actually taught my child anything.

The structured program will likely be more play-based than where you’re at now. Play-based means learning games and centers (think: magnetic fishing for letters, writing names in shaving cream, making patterns with blocks, etc.). You can reach out to the director to ask about what sort of learning activities they do.

If you’re concerned about a potential ADHD, autism, etc. diagnosis, I’d really recommend the more structured program. All kids thrive on structure and consistency, but kids with those disabilities especially thrive in structured environments. Please don’t worry about your child’s behaviors—trust me, your kid’s teachers have seen it all.

@cpr That’s my concern. I was sent a picture that said science and nature and when I opened it, it was just a picture of my child and 3 others playing with dinosaurs. I don’t know much about any of the diagnosis he could possibly have so I was scared most of all that he would not like it being structured but he seems to just be bored at school honestly. If I look on the cameras he’s just playing alone most of the time with other children at the same table. I thought he was okay because he didn’t cry when I dropped him off etc and he has learned all his letters but last night him and his big sister told me he didn’t learn them at school he learned them all on these videos he loves to watch(I knew he watched them but just assumed he learned it all from school since he has learned it since starting but I also didn’t even think about the videos he watches until that conversation with them). I’m leaning towards switching him but besides him not liking it, i do like that his current teacher understands him and his new teachers are young (I know that doesn’t mean they haven’t seen a child just like him before.) I’m just hoping they won’t treat him any different or like he’s bad because of it. He’s not a bad kid but he can’t just sit on the floor and not move at all and when he’s sitting in a chair he moves his body a lot or stands up but sits back down pretty quickly because he knows he’s suppose to be sitting so it’s not a big problem like hitting or acting out etc it’s mostly just that he can’t stand still and it’s not his fault at all. I love your advice though and you really just said everything reason why I want to switch his schools. He does have to go to kindergarten in august. Do you think that would just be to much switching of schools or well worth it to get him ready for kindergarten in a elementary school?

Update! I switched my son and he absolutely loves it! I didn’t realize how much his old school was holding him back and the new school has more structure but he still gets to play and he’s actually made so many more friends here. I’m so happy I switched him. He had not told me how truly unhappy he was at the old school until he had something to compare it to and I’m kind of sad I didn’t switch him sooner. He’s doing so well at the new school. All I can say is our mom intuition is always right

@caa55 I made a decision to switch my then 4 year old to a more structured daycare with a preschool program. She was in a much more informal home based program. She is the type to do her own thing, question rules and make it known if she wasn’t liking something. I felt a more structured program would get her ready for kindergarten where they do seem to expect quite a bit from kids now. We then also switched her again to do summer camp before kindergarten to get her used to her new before and after school care program since it was the place doing both.

Honestly I still considered our more structured program play based. They used story time, arts and crafts and games as part of their learning plus had 1-2 times outside. They do have a curriculum they follow with little lesson plans. While the new program sounds a little overly structured( though maybe reading and math time are more laid back than I’m picturing). the first one seems too laid back for me if my kid was 5 and approaching kindergarten soon and I had another option that may help get them better prepared.

Also yes location and better flow for the morning routine would definitely impact our decision.

@obiviva Yes that’s what I’m worried about. He only has school for 3 hours a day and I just don’t think he will be ready for a full 6 hour day with the school he’s in now unfortunately but a lot of people are also saying it’s to much structure so I’m at a stand still. I’m leaning more towards switching because he needs the structure he has all day to play and since kindergarten is coming very soon I just want him to be as prepared for that big change as possible.

@caa55 If the current school works, I wouldnt switch. Sounds like you already found a good fit for your kid’s needs. Sucks about the drive but thats really not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

@dasiebe Right I’m not really worried to much about the drive although it’s a lot easier to go right down the street I just want the right fit for him and I’ll do whatever needs to be done to get him there. I’m just worried because I want him happy but to go from a 3 hour very laid back days to a 6 hour day that’s very structured in august for kindergarten I’m just wondering if the transition might be a little easier with a bit more structure

@fromrobbiewithlove That’s what I’m thinking is that I’ll end up regretting that he didn’t have any structure once he switches to kindergarten and is there for 6 hours of very structured school compared to him doing 3 hours very laid back or 3 hours somewhat structured.