Should I switch my 5 year olds pre k from play based to structured?

caa55

Option 1: His current school I absolutely love his teacher because she understands he moves around a lot and does not make him feel like it’s a bad thing because she knows he can’t control it. It is a 15 min drive there and 15 minutes back in a different direction then my other child’s school which is about 6 minute drive so technically I’m driving for about 22 min in the morning. In class for 2 hours everyday they switch from group activity to a different group activity which is mostly playing with toys and 3 other children besides the 20 minutes on a tablet that teaches them and They do circle time with the teacher for about 30 minutes. This school also has cameras I can check on him which gives me peace of mind but I also won’t be able to do that next year in kindergarten either way so it’s not to big of a deal.

Option 2: A new pre k that is highly rated and very hard to get a spot just called me and I have 2 days to decide what to do. They are only a 3 minute drive and on my way to my other child’s school. They are more structured and he would go from his main class room with his main 2 teachers where they do play at times And go outdoors to play then he would switch to a math and reading class with separate teachers for each class. This school does not have cameras so I’m a little uneasy but I think he will be okay either way.

I asked what he would like to do and he said he wants to switch schools but does not give me a real reason as to why. He doesn’t know anyone in schools name and says he doesn’t have any friends though which breaks my heart. I’m just afraid he may not like the new school or his new teachers may not understand he has no control over being more energetic and moving around a lot (I’m getting him tested for add,adhd, and autism just waiting for his appointment)

Sorry for such a big post I just wanted to give as much information as possible. Thanks for any options and feedback!

@caa55 This is hard. I would think about what my current values are at this time and choose the option that best supports that. If you currently value time and that drive is frustrating and could relieve a point of tension and you think your kid will be successful either way then it might be worth it. If you value free play and less structure for you kid then it might be worth it to stay put. If you think your kiddo would benefit from more structure then that would be a vote for moving.

2 days is a tight timeline to make a decision!

@russianpotatoes Right I’m just stuck and it’s in my head constantly because I’m overthinking it all. My biggest concern is I want him to learn more because he does play more then anything and doesn’t get much time with his teacher but the time he does get is beneficial. I would love not driving so far daily but I don’t mind if that’s the best option for him. He is saying he wants to go to the new school but I can’t figure out why he wants to go so badly which kind of concerns me in a way. He did tell me last night that one kid is mean to him and won’t play with him but I also know he’s only 5 and I need to make the best decision for him I’m just scared he may end up not liking the other school even though every time I ask he says he wants to switch.

@caa55 If switching gives you improved transportation experience, you want him to learn more and feel like he might get that at the new place and he says he’s interested in a new school it might be worth it to try? You could talk to your current school about possibly needing to come back if it’s that bad.

@russianpotatoes I actually spoke to his school today and told them he’s changing schools and they were very understanding. I do believe if he absolutely does not like it I’m sure I could always come back as long as they have a spot open for him but I have faith this is going to work out well and we will both be much happier at the new school.

@spacecadet3767 I like his school I just don’t see much of a change in how much he’s learned since he started and I also don’t see the teacher do much with the kids besides circle time for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. I’m just torn between not knowing which one he’d do better at I wish he could try out the new one for a week or even a few days and decide.

@caa55 We did this and ended up switching back. His original school isn't exactly play based (those don't exist here l) but the new one was too structured and focused on academics. Let kids be kids! I would say with the current school. He is going to have another change to deal with when he starts kindergarten right?