Sharing a room on holiday with your independent sleeping baby is a f***ing disaster. No sex! No relaxing sleep!

tan36

I’m so terrified to wake my 8 month old, I’m terrified she will see me! Im already giving that extra comfort that I had weaned! I’m creeping round like it’s a surprise every night if she wakes! My husband snores! It’s a bloody disaster. 🤦🏼‍♀️

@tan36 You described our trip to Mexico to a luxury hotel, where I sat in the dark and tried not to breathe.

Game changer for us - pack and play in the bathroom. It was pitch black, cool, and baby slept amazing. He sleeps better in hotel bathrooms then in a separate hotel room!

This means me and hubs had to go down to the lobby for any nighttime bathroom breaks but it was completely worth it. It’s not always reasonable to get two rooms and sometimes you want a hotel (daily cleaning and buffet breakfast FTW). Also he has slept in bathrooms made of luxurious white marble so I don’t feel bad :)

@tan36 We ran into this recently. It made our trip to Baltimore so much more tame than it would have been otherwise. We were in bed with her at 8pm every night with headphones and Netflix.

Solution: Just booked a trip to Mystic (babies love aquariums!), and instead of staying in a hotel (goodbye, endless Hilton points), we've rented a small house with an outdoor area. So we'll put her down, set up her monitor, and enjoy a nice fire outside with beers and our dog. Not the same as going out for a drink, but we aren't really the same people we were before kids. Ever upward!

@dartee We have just had an Uber eats, with wine. Life’s not that bad to be honest. I could of been worse, I’ve come to accept life is different now. After 7 years before babies, I’d got used to husband and wife holidays. They grow up right? I’ll get that back??

Beers and dog by a fire sounds like a great holiday to me.

@tan36 This was me back in 2016, it was a nightmare holiday, me and my then partner ended up sitting outside of our hotel room on the floor playing on our phones because of the issues you have stated.

We couldn't go anywhere after 5.30pm because that was her bedtime so we had hours just sat around.

I've learnt from that experience not to travel with a baby, when they are kids like 3 years upwards you can be completely flexible with bedtimes and it won't affect them as badly as it does with a baby.

@katrina2017 I have to say that we’ve managed a later bedtime and mostly had our main meal at lunch. But even bed at 8pm with us whispering playing cards has been something we are not used to on holidays. Long gone are the days of late bars in Europe, strolling the streets eating tapas. Life has moved on to the next chapter I guess. When we go to bed though I’m terrified of waking her so getting comfy takes a while.

@tan36 Girl. SLUMBERPOD. It’s a total game changer. We did an Alaska cruise and my little one slept 12 hours a night in it. We were able to have the lights on, and even order room service. Highly recommended. Also, use a white noise machine to help mask any sounds that may wake your little one.

@tan36 I was super skeptical of it at first, but it was so worth it! We snapped a pole while we were visiting family and they rushed a new set overnight and even gave me a discount on the shipping. It’s a small, family owned business. I can’t recommend them enough!

@tan36 Same! My almost 11 month old had just started sleeping through the night. Then a one-week family vacation to the beach and it’s back to 2x a night. I used ear plugs - they helped 😑

AirBnB wasn’t an option - the whole point was to spend the time with family that our LO never gets to see. Fortunately, the family wakes up early like he does!

Back