Shared underwear/clothes

zondaar39

My two oldest boys are about two years apart but one of them is rather skinny while the other one has a booty :) They have the same size underwear and untill recently where sharing a room (they are 6 and 4). I just have one bunch of boxers and singlets for them that they share, but I can imagine that at some point they don't want to anymore.

Any of you have any advice how to keep it separate? Mostly asking because they both like H&M boxers and singlets and they all look the same. And does anyone have kids who shared stuff? At what age didn't they want to anymore?

@zondaar39 Like others we separate by size & color, so each child has their own.

I can't bring myself to write in clothing, because I feel like it ruins it. Plus I'd have to do it for each child, as we hand clothing down to younger siblings. My children help with laundry, but I don't get them to do their own as it would cost too much for the excess water & detergent. Since I've cloth diapered numerous times Ive tracked the financial implications.

@suzannel Do they come off? In one way you don't want them to, but then later you do! Where do you get them?

I've not had luck with clothing stickers or iron ons. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

@zondaar39 We have the kids do their laundry separately. Each kid has a day of the week assigned as their laundry day, oldest to youngest. 1 load, all of one kid's items together, on that day. I thought it was weird when my husband suggested it, but it's been working for us for years. No more sorting, except for the socks that end up all over the house and those are labeled.

@zondaar39 My husband has two brothers.. their Mum just picked a colour for each of them and stuck to it.. So one always had black, one blue and one grey. You can go for more interesting colours and patterns of course, but that seems the most straightforward way.

@zondaar39 My 6 & 8 year olds wear the same size most of the time. They share a dresser too. To keep underwear separate, I buy 2x each pack with a different print style for each girl. Oldest has b&w/ leopard/ pale pink. Younger has bright colors.

@zondaar39 My boys are 7.5 and 6 and wear the same size. They still are cool sharing clothes. They have different styles though, so honestly I can tell 7.5yo will wear the khakis/t-shirts while the 6yo wears jeans and sports jerseys, so they self “police” who’s stuff is whose. They share a drawer of boxers. When they eventually want their own things I’ll get one kid blue underwear and one kid green underwear

@zondaar39 My boys are 5 and 3. Same dynamic as yours (tall and skinny, rounder with a booty lol). They don't wear the same size but they are only 1 size off so the younger immediately gets the older's hand me downs with no gap in between. Up until now I have been including underwear and socks in that, but I think I'm going to start getting new ones of those for each kid now that they're a bit older. They still share all their toys and don't mind at all. They both seem to understand they have access to more toys when they share.

@zondaar39 My friends mom had 5 girls (one set of twins) and at the beginning of each school year they all got new underwear. She used a sharpie and write the initials of each girl on the waistband. Each girl had their own except the twins who shared.

@zondaar39 If they do their own laundry (and before too long they should imo) then it is up to them to keep separate and up to them to keep organized and clean.

@zondaar39 I do my best to alternate color schemes or brands when they are close. Right now, for example, my age 12 has Hanes and my age 11 has target brand. I do the same with socks. It has to be either a different color or brand. They will share in a pinch but one of them is more orderly and less into getting muddy outside so everyone prefers having their own things to avoid conflict.

@zondaar39 My boys are 18 months apart, oldest is 6. They've been wanting more of their own stuff this year especially has been clothes.

Honestly I do my best and try to be lighthearted when stuff gets mixed up. My oldest is mostly blue and my youngest mostly green by design. I gave up on underwear and tossed it all in the same drawer. Socks get matched and tossed in a similar community drawer.

Our life is very hectic and the kids seem to understand that I just can't devote many brain cells to underpants. Im shifting more laundry responsibilities on to the oldest and he complains more about the work than any of my clothes organizations.