S.O.S. Second baby coming tomorrow and I’m panicking

rickram

I’m currently the dad of an 18 month old boy. He is the culmination of all the things I have done in my life. He is my best friend and the reason I wake up in the morning. Tomorrow, my fiancé is being induced with our second(*surprise) baby and I’m really struggling.
We’ve nested and readied ourselves for the arrival of another child. Tonight is our last night as a family of three. What i’m really struggling with is that we are going to the hospital tomorrow. Our son is going to spend his very first night away from home(at his grandparents), without one of his parents. At some point tomorrow I am going to pick up my baby boy, my first born, the most perfect thing I have ever made, I’ll put him down, tell him good bye; We’ll go to the hospital, have a baby, who I’ll hold and will be amazingly tiny and when I pick my boy up I know he is going to feel so heavy. How do I prepare myself for that? How did y’all cope? How do you handle two under two?

@rickram Dad of 2 boys, learning to accept change and things that aren’t in my control. Loved every minute of life as a family of 3, now I love every minute as a family of 4. In a few months you won’t be able to imagine life before your new one came and joined the tribe. Does take a few months to get used to, and maybe a few years before your son adjusts — my 3 yr old is 8 months into brotherhood and just starting to give hugs and kisses - which will inevitably transition to wrestling and brawls soon enough i’m sure, but i’m enjoying the relative softness for now…

Change is the only natural constant of this world, enjoy the moments and remember that the good and the bad moments are all fleeting, just hang in for the ride and try to do some good while we’re here.

@eldavid I know this comment was for OP but it helped me. I have a 3 year old and a 6 week old and I’m struggling this week. I was reminiscing and missing my time as a family 3 with just me, my husband and my daughter. Sleep deprivation is hard and was making me question my choices. Thanks for the reminder that things will get better in few months and I won’t be able to imagine my world without my second baby

@fraankky 32 weeks and feeling the same. My daughter deserves us all to herself! I know it will be sweet to watch her become a big sister (just today she kissed her baby doll on the forehead), but I'm still mourning what has been.

@rufus1963 35 weeks and same. I can’t understand how it’s possible to love another like I already love my son. He’s 3 and absolutely perfect. It’s hard to imagine I’ll be able to strike gold twice. We are no doubt excited for our new boy but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t in my feels about not having my world revolve just around my oldest.

@eldavid This. I have three boys. 9, 5 and 1. Bringing another was never easier. But holy cow seeing them be big brothers and how much the little one loves them is always amazing. You think there isn’t enough room in your heart but your heart just actually grows.

Back