Review of baby brezza

justme2017

So, disclaimer; I bought this FPA used, about 1 year old. I know the person did the regular cleanings and descaling. Regular cleanings won’t fix what I found on this. I decided to take it apart and try to clean it because I couldn’t in good conscience feed bottles to my baby with what I found.

First, I found that when selecting 3 oz, I was getting 3.5 oz. Better over than under I suppose. But to be sure I wasn’t missing anything, I went over it for a thorough cleaning and found the water dispensing hole was quite dark. So, I got a Q tip and stuck it in there. What I found was disturbing. Mold mold everywhere. So what kept cleaning and cleaning, spraying water in there, peroxide soaked Q tip etc but I just couldn’t get it clean. So, I decided to take it apart and try to clean it. I wasn’t going to use it anymore as is, so if I broke it; oh well.

And; I broke it. The water dispensing tube ripped and I can’t find a replacement at the moment. It’s not just a straight tube and has a lip to hold it in place. I also found the other water tube from the reservoir to be quite disgusting. There’s just no way to keep these clean and I think over time, even after routine maintenance, it will build up over time. So, despite it breaking I figure the tier people can benefit from this information. Perhaps occasionally stick a Q tip in the water hole, flush it out etc.

Perhaps I can dismantle this one and sell for parts if I can’t find a the tubes I need.

Here are some pics of what I found.

To be fair, I’d probably buy a new one and do my own cleaning regiment to prevent this.

@justme2017 I love the idea of them, but couldn't sacrifice counter space and also the maintenance just didn't sound like a fun time when investigating them. I personally just feel like it's a breeding ground for mold and bacteria because it never fully drys out.

@imnotabadperson I really liked it. I think if I’d bought new and known what I do now I could be pretty confident with keeping it clean. I may still, actually. I think an improved design would be one where tubes and fittings within the water system are easily accessible and easy to clean.

@justme2017 Totally agree. I think the idea of it is absolutely amazing, they just need to keep improving it. Hopefully by the time we have our second child we're in a bigger home and they have improved it because I would love the ease of it

@justme2017 Just FYI, getting 3.5 oz when you click 3 oz isn’t a mistake. It’s 3 oz of water, plus the formula powder, which adds volume. Same as when you make a bottle by hand.

I can’t speak to the cleanliness issue though. We had a baby brezza and it was an absolute lifesaver. I never noticed any mold but never did such a thorough investigation!

@justme2017 It is true though. When you hand make bottles with powder it will always be over what you’ve measured in water. I personally also stopped using our Brezza as I was too worried about dispensing accuracy and I was spending a lot of time measuring and never found it dispensed perfectly accurately. To be fair my scoops were way more then what the Brezza dispensed. I calculated mine to 10-11g and Brezza was 9.2-9.5, was supposed to be 9 if I remember correctly. Those packed Nutramigen scoops got me everytime with overpacking when hand making bottles.

Back