Recommendations for places that sell affordable baby clothes with natural fibers/somewhat sustainable?

@desiney That is so kind of you to offer! I'm still a ways out from buying things myself (I'm just building the registry now and have a feeling I'll be gifted a lot of clothing and less of the actual needs that aren't as fun for people to buy). So go ahead and post them in lots on your own timeline. Maybe DM a link if you remember but if not that's okay too. I don't want to tie you down to a drawn out timeline because I probably won't be buying clothes myself until a few months after the baby is here and I know if she's short/long/big/small. And thank you for all the advice you've given me, it's very helpful!

@kennethe62 You’ll need long sleeve pants because of air conditioning probably and because newborns don’t maintain heat as well. An important consideration for amount of clothing is how often you think you’ll do laundry.

I forgot to add. These cloth wipes are super versatile and useful. I bought several and still use them often.

@ukuladypdx Thanks! I forgot about AC 🤦‍♀️

I have the GMD Sampler Pack of cloth wipes on my registry because there are so many different types to choose from! Do you have a favorite?

@ukuladypdx This is a major reason I only accepted hand me downs from people I knew personally, for clothing! I know my SIL uses free and clear because my niece has terrible eczema, so I had no qualms accepting a ton of baby clothes from her. But if you are buying off resale sights, thrifting, or even getting from Buy Nothing, it's a total toss up.

@kennethe62 You are so right - people will buy you clothes regardless so I recommend not even adding the temptation of it to the registry because I can almost guarantee that people will buy those first. Gerber onesies are good and inexpensive but run very small!

@kennethe62 I actually do recommend putting clothes on your registry. For my first baby, people really stuck to the clothes I put on my registry which was great because we had a lot of comfy basics in a large variety of sizes. We had a sprinkle for my opposite gendered and opposite seasons second kid since we didn’t have a shower (peak covid) for my first one. We did do a registry this time. It was mostly diapers and wipes along with some stuff I needed specifically for a second kid like a second seat to convert my stroller to a double. I made sure to put clothes on there to avoid obnoxious pink outfits with ridiculous sayings. Turns out people largely ignored the registry this time and we got way more clothes as gifts (girl baby problems!) and had to return at least half because people get only newborn and 0-3 as registry presents. We also got a lot of fleece pajamas in sizing that she will be in this summer (most likely) as well as frilly impractical outfits. So while you can’t avoid getting the frustrating mountains of baby clothes, I very much recommend putting stuff YOU like on your registry so you hopefully get a variety of items in a variety of sizes. Also it will give people insight into your style so if they do go off registry, hopefully it will be something you like. Especially being a first time mom, people are more inclined to look at your registry to see what you need and what’s already been purchased. And if you do your registry somewhere like target, people will generally shop there for your gifts, registry item or not, so that makes it easier to return the impromptu gifts that you won’t use. We used babylist this time and people got clothes from all over so we had a job to figure out where to return stuff we weren’t going to use to exchange for more practical clothes.

@shanan This is so helpful to hear your experience! I'm sorry people didn't go off your registry for your daughter. This is what I'm afraid of too. I'm not sure what it is about having a girl that makes people want to buy impractical clothing because both boy and girl clothes can be cute while being practical!

I have my registry at Babylist because it seemed nice to have everything in one place when compiling everything. I'm actually having a hard time finding clothes I like available at Target, so I hope people shop there for the other things that I put on there that are at Target and not clothes. I probably need to just let it go and expect a good chunk of gifts to end up not being practical or what we need. It's hard to think about people spending their hard earned money for something we won't end up using as well as possible awkward conversations if we return things. But I guess that's just a part of the whole thing.

Thank you for your recommendation, I will be sure to put some clothes on the registry we'd actually want and use!

@kennethe62 Primary is very affordable and solid, indestructible, great-washing basics.

Everything runs VERY small though. ESPECIALLY the leggings. My girl was starting 3T in them last fall when she was still 24mo/2T in everything else.

In general, I would ask for 6+ month clothes through the registry. My LO outgrew sizes in 5 weeks until about 7 or 8 months old, and by then she was in 12 month sizes (long and skinny). I would just buy a couple 5 or 10 packs of plain onesies for the smaller sizes, or even look for thrifted ones. They're barely going to be worn and probably very few people will see them wearing them. 5-10 onesies, 2 pants, 3 pajamas or infant gowns per size is PLENTY for NB, 3, 6 month sizes.

@kennethe62 Commenting to mention Owlivia! They have an awesome selection of GOTS organic cotton onesies. The material is soft and thick enough to help last a long duration through wear and wash, so I can justify the slightly higher price. Plenty of cute, neutral patterns. :) Sometimes Amazon has the brand for a lower price, and they often sell 2 patterns together for a better deal.

As for sizing, this brand's footless onesies run a wee bit roomier, which we prefer for when baby is mobile and on the move. Their regular footed pajamas for younger babies look nice and snug though.

@kennethe62 People have given good recommendations! A lot of Primary clothes faded fairly quickly for us. Burt’s Bees loose fit were fine, but the snug fit pajamas were always way too tight for my babe. Hanna Andersson is a very sturdy fabric and good for hand me downs, but it felt fairly bulky for my baby. Gap has a lot of organic cotton and it became our go to. Congratulations on your new baby!

@kennethe62 Target is starting to offer a lot of organic cotton items, so you can add those to your registry too! Burt’s Bees, Carters also has an organic line, Honest. Gap also has some really great organic clothes. They run a little thicker, so great for cooler weather.

Back