Recommendations for places that sell affordable baby clothes with natural fibers/somewhat sustainable?

kennethe62

I'm currently pregnant and looking for some clothing to put on my registry because I know people will want to buy clothes regardless. Might as well put some clothing on there I'd actually want my baby in. I plan to get a lot secondhand myself since that is the most sustainable, but I know many family members won't consider that. By putting clothing on the registry, I'm also hoping to avoid getting all pink/purple clothes (we're having a girl) or super gendered sayings like "daddy's little princess" on them all.

What are some brands that aren't crazy expensive with natural fibers / somewhat sustainable? Seems like I mostly am finding places that are like $50 per onesie which is WAY too expensive for something that will be grown out of that quickly. People wouldn't be willing to pay that much. Or I'm finding places that sell more toddler clothing and not clothing for 0-3m, 3-6m, 6-9m.

Would greatly appreciate suggestions!

@kennethe62 Most affordable brands are Burt's Bees and Little Planet by Carter's. Pajamas are $15 or less and they are GOTS certified organic. Parade Organics and Primary are about $5 more and worth it. Get a wide variety instead of all at one place because you never know what's going to fit. Also take a look at Colored Organics, Monica + Andy, and Hanna Andersson. They have really great sales.

@kdubpenny Yes! I think Little Planet & BB are perfect for a registry, especially because they’re easily available at places many people like to shop anyways, like Target and Amazon. They are slightly more expensive than standard fare at those stores, but still reasonable and are made with organic cotton and are not super gendered.

In response to another comment, I found that everyone in my life was very interested in helping us out as much as they could, and thus bought the things that we had selected off of the registry. We did receive a few random outfits that weren’t really our thing, but those were from friends of my MIL’s that we don’t even know and who weren’t invited to our shower or anything and didn’t have access to the registry—they were just excited a baby was coming and wanted to send something. Those were easy enough to take a quick photo of her in as a thank you, and then pass along to another family who would get more use from them. In other words— totally worth it to ask for the things you actually want and that suit your family and values best, OP!

Oh, and seconding Primary, Parade, M+A, and Hanna Andersson! Also adding Baby Gap and H&M, which have high quality organic cotton baby/toddler clothes. Everything on super sale or second hand—I’ve ordered a ton from those brands off of Mercari in the last two years.

@carolny Thanks for the insight, that's great to know!

Hannah Andersson I've repeatedly seen recommended, but they are one of the ones that are like $48 for one item so while I could wait for them to go on sale, it's not as registry friendly. I'll check the other places out though, thank you!!

@kennethe62 Also: I believe your registry is for splurges! Buy the cheaper workhorse stuff yourself, give folks the opportunity to get *special* items. Just be sure to dress baby up in the splurge items and share pictures with whoever got it when they grow into it.

@kennethe62 Hannahs are expensive, but they can go up to 75 percent off. They are also really great quality and the colors really last. You could easily use them for more than one child and they have a pretty good resale value on FB marketplace. If you watch out for their bit sales, it's worth it.

@theonetruereligion Came here to recommended Kate Quinn, too! Really cute, mostly gender neutral clothing with charming prints. Their wrap style onesies are really easy to get on and off (no pulling over the head required). High quality fabrics, and they often have sales where stuff is rather inexpensive.

@kennethe62 Old navy also has 100% cotton options. H&M has a good choice in natural fiber baby clothes (organic cotton, wool…). These are the most affordable and have regular sales. Primary is a step pricier. I found linen baby clothes from Zara. For woollens, I’ve had good luck shopping Facebook b/s/t, disclosing scents & wash history is part of the culture in the groups I joined. Also for new wool, Siskin/Engel brand is a good price. Look at cheshire horse (USA) or mamaowl (Abroad but cheap/fast shipping to usa).

Back