Questions on going off BC & cycle changes

onetezza

I [30F] was on the implant for 6 years and when my 2nd one expired last month, I got it out and switched to the pill. My partner and I were thinking of starting to try in the fall so I wanted the flexibility to go off when I needed to. Turns out, the pill brand I was on was terrible fo me, so I went off of it after being on it for 4ish weeks.

I got my period while I was taking the hormonal pill in the second week, which was a normal period cycle when I was on the implant (24-day cycle).

It's now been 39 days of this current cycle and no period in sight. My period should have come around June 10... and it's making me a little nervous. I saw suggestions that if you haven't gotten your period in a couple of months (2 missed periods) when you were on the implant, then you should go to the doctor, but if you are going off the pill, it maybe 3-4 months and to only go until then.

Should I be considering myself as someone who is going off the implant or the pill?

BTW, since many of my symptoms made me (and my partner) think I was pregnant earlier this month, I have taken many pregnancy tests all negative (including one yesterday). I started tracking my T/C with ovulation tests from premom, but I have no idea what they mean:
  • CD 36: 0.7
  • CD 38: 0.63
  • CD 39: 0.54
Can anyone help with that as well? Thanks!

@onetezza It can take some time for your period to return to normal after stopping hormonal birth control. Up to 6 months, in fact.

Temping was really helpful in helping my tract my first cycles off the IUD, so I would recommend trying it. OPK’s are only useful for tracking your LH surge that would only happen over the course of 12-36 hours in a normal, 28 day cycle.

Some people find using OPK’s every day useful but since there’s such a small window to catch your LH surge even when you know to expect it, I don’t really think there’s a point for you right now.

@onetezza I would agree with temping (along with charting cervical mucus) because it helps to show where you may be in your cycle and if you’ve ovulated and can expect your period soon. I got off the birth control pill back in April and am letting my body get “back to normal.” It’s common for your period to not be back to normal and will fluctuate instead of being on the 28 day schedule or whatever. My first cycle off birth control was 37 days long and I’m on day 39 today. Cycle length could differ by when you ovulate (or if you don’t that cycle and have a withdrawal bleed).

@onetezza For the premom ovulation tests and TC ratio, they’re not considered positive until you get a reading of 1.0 or higher (when the test line on the left is as dark as or darker than the control line on the right). I usually trust my eyes more than the app because lighting might throw it off. I find the tests useful because I also track my temperature and use both to try to pinpoint when I ovulated.

@househ What's weird is that the very first test I took, it was two dark lights, with the test line being just slightly lighter. So I'm thinking I just missed being positive?

Thanks again for the information! Super helpful. :)

@onetezza You’re welcome! I’ve been nerding out with OPKs and temp charting lately haha

Possible that you missed it. Mine went from .36 to 1.31 from one day to the next in a 14 hour window this past cycle so I’m not sure there’s even a pattern. But it’s satisfying to catch it :)