Preflat Material

maria890

Hey, y’all!

I recently started trying out preflats after being too apprehensive to try them and found out I actually dig them quite a bit! They’re so soft and trim. I was wondering, are they easy to make? Can I make them with a regular sewing machine or do I need a special machine? Where can you get the fabric for them?

I’d love to be able to make my own!

@maria890 I think most people buy from Natures Fabrics or Kinderel (sp). They are pretty easy and there are free patterns online! You can literally just google free preflat pattern to find some. You don’t need a serger. Most sewing machines have stretchy overlocking stitches and you’ll want to use one of those. You can sew them together facing the right way, you don’t have to see them inside out and sewn down the edges. If you do try to do that it takes a lot of the stretch out because of the stitching. (I think that’s called top stitching? I forget, but don’t do that! 😅)

You’ll want to do 2-3 layers of at least 180 GSM of a stretchy bamboo or stretchy hemp blend. I like mine to be around 220-250 GSM especially if they are 2 layers only. You’ll probably want to make some boosters too so be mindful when cutting your pattern out on them, or you can use whatever you have already as a booster.

@maria890 The edges of all the preflats I've purchased (and the ones I've made) have been serged with a serger machine. If you don't serge the edges, you may have to turn the edges of the fabric inside and sew the front layer to the inside layer like that to make a "hemmed" edge, which will add a noticeable bit of bulk to the outer edge.

@maria890 I think for plain solid colors you can get some from Nature's Fabrics. If you want custom printed I'm not sure where but you can get your absorbant material where I mentioned and get a cutesy less absorbant option from any fabric store

Back