Please do *not* buy your kids Hoo Jit Zu toys

joshlynn888

I’m an RN who works at the poison center, and a parent. The statement below is my own, and not related to my provider.

We’ve seen a huge influx recently in ingestion of water beads (aka Orbeez), and a new culprit is the Goo Jit Zu toys.

Water beads can cause a lot of issues, most namely a choking hazard, and causing intestinal obstruction/blockage, which may need to be removed surgically, and are very difficult to visualize on any imaging (X-ray, CT).

Please, please toss any of these toys you have. Return them for something else if you get it give one for the holidays.

If you need the poison center, 1-800-222-1222, 24/7.

@katrina2017 Further to this, there have also been instances of contaminated water (eg with E Coli) in cheap water-filled toys from places like China.

Toys like these - though I have no information that these particular toys are unsafe, it's merely toys in this style/design that can be problematic.

@lightbringer72 thanks

I think I had (or maybe still have, need to double check) a ball toy filled with water from china with shiny glitter/water beads. Still remember when I bought it I was just like "so, we have chinese water now?" and prob thinking when it will leak since my son threw it a lot.

@joshlynn888 Ugh those things are the WORST.

My 6yo bought one with his own money and was so proud of himself, got it home and the damn thing had a puncture within minutes and the paint had already started rubbing off....I get that cheap crap will break, and he is not the most gentle creature but it was ridiculous. Poor kid was bawling. I took him to get his money back.

We have regular water beads for summer/sensory play, the kids love them. But they crumble really easily when you push on them and they come in different sizes.

That's a really good reminder when we have other kids over though, thank you. Some kids are like goats.

ETA reading some of these responses I’m super thankful that it wasn’t anything worse than just a disappointed kid and a minor mess. You think that you think of everything as a parent….water beads would never have been on my radar. Some of your stories are terrifying, I’m so sorry!!!

@puregold020 Right?!

He saw them again when he took his money back to buy something else and I could see the wheels turning in his brain bc he wanted one so much….”no! I’ve learned my lesson mom let’s go to the Lego store!” 😍