Parents, how much would you be willing to pay to send your child to a private in home pre-k?

bookreader66

Here is some context; I currently have been teaching Pre-K in a public elementary school for the last five years. My spouse and I have been talking about starting a Pre-K in our basement which would become a dedicated classroom space. Our basement is a walkout basement with lots of natural lighting. We would also have two recess times per day! I have a bachelors in early childhood education and elementary education, a masters in elementary curriculum and design, and a masters in teaching english as a second language. My program would be for four year olds only and kiddos would come to my full day program to get them prepped and ready for Kindergarten. My calendar would reflect the local public school year calendar (9 month calendar). The kids would be in my program the year before they go to Kindergarten. The benefits of this program would be small class sizes (around 8-10 kids instead of 12-15 which is average in Pre-k classes), longer hours (thinking 8-4), healthy breakfast, lunches, and snacks daily included, and highly qualified teacher with data driven curriculum.

We live in a wealthier area of a secondary city, think Denver, Atlanta, Kansas City.

As a parent, what would you pay for this?

@bookreader66 We plan to send our toddler to preschool all 5 days, so I would pay weekly. I’m not your target audience since we use a center vs in-home, but I personally wouldn’t send my son somewhere that he would be in a basement for the majority of the day.

@books1125 We have a walkout basement so floor to ceiling windows and they would have recess twice a day as well. I’ll add that to my post!

Also, my last question didn’t mean what pay schedule works best but how much would you pay for this type of Pre-K program?

@bookreader66 In my area, preschool and daycare are classified as different things. You can find a daycare that is also a preschool and this is what I go with because I need year round care. If I just wanted a preschool and didn't need care over summer, I would be willing to pay $200 a week depending on what I'm getting. Of course this is the average in my area. Your area may be different, so I'd look around for the ave cost there.

@shmuel7 That’s helpful to know! The program I’m imagining is more of a school based program, not a daycare. Daycares or daycares with preschools in house don’t typically have teachers with teaching degrees which is one of the biggest differences.