Nursery Chair - Wooden Glider or Upholstered Chair?

roxylink

Hi all, FTM and searching for a nursery chair. My husband and I are both tall - 5’9” and 6’3”. I’m considering a wooden glider with cushions (used, Dutailier) and a matching ottoman.
  1. Good choice? Or would an upholstered chair be better?
  2. If upholstered is better, what do you recommend? Many seem to lack quality and some are too small for us.
Thanks!

@roxylink I’m think this is one of those situations where you need to try chairs out in person. I’m 5’7” and my spouse is 6’5”. We ended up going to a local regular furniture store and picking out a lazy boy chair that could be ordered as a glider recliner, which is tall enough for my husband’s head to rest comfortably.

@roxylink I did an upholstered glider that’s a chair and a half.

We really love it and it’s gotten daily use since our 2.5yo was born. We also have a 4 month old.

I’m 6’0” and we also have a wooden rocking chair that I refuse to use. Early days - a really plush glider is much easier on your undercarriage. You want something comfortable because you will spend a ton of time in it.

Realistically I’ve spent over a thousand hours in our glider and expect to do at least another thousand.

@roxylink I can help you with this!! I have both a dutalier and a namesake crewe. I’m 5’9” and my husband is 6’1”The dutalier is 100% better for nursing. I can sit in it and have my feet on the floor and back against the cushion, it is very ergonomic. The gliding is very smooth too, but my baby isn’t very fussy so I don’t spend a ton of time rocking. The downside is it’s not as cute and it’s not super “loungy.”

The namesake is huge and cushy. It’s great to kick back with the recline and just be a total potato letting the baby sleep on me. However, I would not buy it again. It killed my back and I actually slipped a disc trying to nurse my baby when we first came home because it is so huge. My feet can’t touch the floor and my back doesn’t touch the back. My husband loves it though. I am also very anxious about the danger from the electric recliner which I worry could be dangerous with a toddler getting crushed in it. (We are actually getting rid of it because of this.) they do say the electric is nice if you have a c-section, however.

I think the cushy ones can be great but I would definitely go to a store and try some to make sure it is ergonomic. If you’re getting one online, I’d still go to pottery barn kids and find one that “fits” you and go off its measurements. And if I got one, I would just get a glider or a manual recliner.

@roxylink We have this chair, I'm 5'3 and I love this chair specifically because it's more compact than others I tried. I love that the fabric is never hot/cold, whereas a leatherette upholstery would be more temperature sensitive and also makes squeaking sounds when you sit/get up. These are small things but if your baby is super sensitive to sounds this could wake them up.