Nora’s Nursery PUL going after 1.5 years - probably my fault but I’m SO frustrated! How long should a PUL cover last?

envisiondavid

My son’s diaper leaked from the middle of the butt at nap time today, and I tested a few other diapers and discovered that a bunch have PUL deterioration at the legs and the butt.

Frustrated AF - I just checked and realized my hot wash is WAY too hot for PUL. I’m sure I did this to myself and I’m so bummed….. not sure what to do from here. Throw in the towel on cloth or replace them or what. UGH!

@envisiondavid I feel like this is a NN issue/wash frequency thing… I was given second hand Alva’s that were used to diaper my niece till 8 months and I’m now 14 months in using them with my son. So collectively almost two years washing roughly every three days. We’ve always washed them on hot and the PUL has zero issues.

@envisiondavid Like someone else said, I wash them hot to clean them thoroughly. Very rarely do I have residual stain etc. but yeah we are at 2 years of use and I just had PULs in a couple Alva’s deteriorate. I’ve been having leak problems and thought my toddler is just a heavy wetter as he grows but now I’m wondering if more of my diapers are deteriorating too. I use Nora and Alva and have had leaks with both recently.

@envisiondavid Some of our Thristies Duos Size 1 were on the verge of going but then my son sized up. So I'll probably get the same time frame. I'll be replacing a couple with baby #2. I overbought Size 2 which reduced our washing frequency and we'll have fewer to replace.

@envisiondavid Mine did last about this time frame. I really believe they need to be washed that hot for them to not be gross. I used Nora’s nursery, Alva baby’s and LPO and they all took a crap eventually but personally for the price point I was ok with it! I still felt like it saved me some money, especially Alva baby!

@wren84 This makes me feel better. I’m so interested to see if anyone reports similar lifespans. You nailed it with feeling like the NEED to be on hot hot water to get them clean - I did a ton of wash troubleshooting and I just end up with stinky diapers if I don’t wash them on hot.

I also only had 16ish pocket diapers for a while, so they were getting washed every 2-3 days and I was REALLY using the bejeezus out of them.

I might replace with covers instead - I have a few best bottom that I really like and I feel like I could better treat the covers without the dang microfiber of the pocket diaps.

@envisiondavid That’s what I have now! Just some pul covers and wool covers, so I just airdry the pul covers. Then I can wash my fabric diapers as hot as I want without worrying!! I do love the cute prints of the pockets though and they definitely are worth the money if they last over a year in some regard if we compare them to disposables. I do wish they were more sturdy though 😩