NO WONDER PEOPLE SEND THEIR KIDS TO SCHOOL SICK!

dman12323

Last week, we only had school on Friday (Mardi Gras). Naturally my 5M got sick. Took him to the walk-in on Saturday--no flu, just a virus. Fever, barking cough, runny nose. He ran a low grade fever last night, so following the 24-hour rule, of course I kept him home. Kept home 6F, too, because same symptoms.

So, I do my due diligence and email teachers, asked if it would be excused. OF COURSE NOT WE NEED A DAMN EXCUSE.

FIRST OF ALL, walk-in clinics don't give excuses on Saturdays. SECOND OF ALL, I'm not taking them back to the doctor for a virus that is likely on its way out. I just spent $100 at the walk-in, I'll not fixing to pay another $40 co-pay ($80 for both) at the pediatrician...FOR A FUCKING SCHOOL EXCUSE. (I did email the ped's nurse explaining the situation and am waiting for a response.)

DoNt SeNd YoUr KiDs To ScHoOl SiCk BuT iT wOnT bE eXcUsEd UnTiL yOu PaY tO PrOvE tHeYrE sIcK 🙄🙄

UPDATE: The pediatrician excused them! Suck it, bullshit truancy laws!

@dman12323 This is completely bonkers to me. An excused absence in my kids school is one in which I called and said “he won’t be in”. I excused him, I’m his parent, I get to make that decision.

I had a discussion with an American friend about truancy laws once and they completely blew me away. Yes, attendance is important. But -I- get to make those decisions.

@katrina2017 This varies from state to state and even county to county. I only know that truancy is a thing because of friends getting picked up for it in high school in Manhattan. I came to the conclusion that if I was going to skip school, I should be quiet about it. Wouldn't you know it? If you're not being an asshole, the police don't care that you're skipping school.

@optimis2 This particular friend lives in a place that if your kid has too many unexcused absences, the parents will get fined and in some instances jail time.

This is 100% insane.