No fetal heartbeat measuring 5w6d

oneblood777

I (23f) recently found out I was pregnant and was so so so excited. I have irregular periods and was not actively trying to conceive so I was not 100% sure when conception had taken place. I had a positive test on March 28th, 24. I went for a first ultrasound on April 16, 24.

The sonographer told me that I am measuring small (based on my last period first day Feb 3rd, 24.) If measuring by that date I would absolutely agree, but due to my irregular cycle I had to have conceived later.

They decided to look for fetal cardiac activity via transvaginal ultrasound and found no activity. There were no other visibal abnormalities. They then informed me that I've had a missed miscarriage. I dont have much hope at this point that the baby is still alive due to that diagnoses, but I'm trying to be optimistic. Is there anybody else who has experienced no symptoms of loss or misdiagnosis this early on? Or anyone you know?

I opted to go without medication or d&c and to let the miscarriage pass naturally. I have not had any cramping or bleeding or any other kind of pain. I still have minor pregnancy symptoms but they weren't bad from the start - most of my family didn't have bad symptoms either so I wasn't worried.

Is it still to early to base a loss off of lack of cardiac activity this early in the pregnancy? I'm now 6w5d unsure of fetal progression. My doctors office did not schedule any kind of follow up.

Edit to add: 4-25-24

Thank you for your kind words.

I called the office that I visited last week today and they were nothing but horrible. They do not want to let me have a second US. I had to fight with the nurse to ask the doctor for a second visit. I still don't have a scheduled visit. The doctor will be out for several weeks after tomorrow. I feel like Im all out of hope to give. At this point with the amount of issues I've had trying to get them to schedule me for a follow up, I feel they would have to be pretty certain to deny my peace of mind. And once again, I was offered to review my options without further scans/ bloodwork being done and being urged to decide to take the medication. I'm so tired. Nobody deserves this kind of agony. I would take any amount of un-medicated pain over this.

@oneblood777 It’s a little strange they wouldn’t ask for a follow up in 10-14 days to confirm no heartbeat. That’s what was down from my MMC. I was supposed to be 10wks and measured at 8 with no heartbeat and they still waited 14 days, gave me another ultrasound, then found that there was still no heartbeat and I was given the medication to pass the pregnancy. It was heartbreaking and awful and waiting those 14 days felt like years, but I’m glad I had that peace of mind. I would recommend a second opinion just in case. I don’t want to give you false hope, but 5w is really early to see a heartbeat even on transvaginal US. Best wishes for you. I know this feeling is so overwhelming and awful.

@tymc Thank you for your kind words. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I called the office that I visited last week today and they were nothing but horrible. They do not want to let me have a second US. I had to fight with the nurse to ask the doctor for a second visit. I still don't have a scheduled visit. The doctor will be out for several weeks after tomorrow. I feel like Im all out of hope to give. At this point with the amount of issues I've had trying to get them to schedule me for a follow up, I feel they would have to be pretty certain to deny my peace of mind. And once again, I was offered to review my options without further scans/ bloodwork being done and being urged to decide to take the medication. I'm so tired. Nobody deserves this kind of agony. I would take any amount of un-medicated pain over this.

@oneblood777 I am so so sorry. The pain and anxiety you have deserves to be met with kindness as a bare minimum. If there’s ANY way for you to find another clinic and explain your situation I would do it. There are other offices that will be understanding and that’s what you need right now. If anything I would wait without scheduling a d&c or medication and try to find another clinic in the next week or two. I know that doesn’t give you any answers or peace right now but at least you could hopefully find a doctor and office that meets you with kindness. I’m so sorry you’re going through this. And thank you. I wouldn’t wish this sort of thing on anyone

@oneblood777 If you want, get a second opinion! I have read about a case where one doc said no heartbeat, miscarriage and a second ultrasound found a heartbeat. If you still haven't miscarried might be worth it.

Back