No clue what to get toddler for Christmas

kievonn

My daughter is turning 3… 3 days before Christmas. I have no clue what to get her/what to tell people when they ask for a present list for her.

Time is ticking and I’ve basically procrastinated this until the last minute, which adds more stress, which is making my mind go blank.

What are y’all getting your 2/3 year olds for Christmas?

For some info on the kid; she’s super tall and like athletically capable(she wears size 5/6, huge kid), she’s freakin smart as a whip (can count to 30, knows her abcs, 8 word sentences and shit), and she’s super super opinionated/confident.

We’re not even close to like a Montessori house hold but I’m not a huge fan of battery operated toys. I’ve seen a lot of people suggesting like activity passes instead of toys but that feels excessive to ask of family.

Idk I’m sorry for rambling I’m just starting to panic 🥲

Edit; absolutely loving all of the suggestions, thank you so so so much!!! Just to add a bit more context, we live in a small apartment with a teeny patio so big stuff like trampolines are unfortunately not going to work. Also, most of her clothes come from thrift stores as we don’t have a huge budget to work from 😅

@kievonn for my 3 yo I'm asking for a yoto player; magnatiles, and brio train sets. he would also love a play kitchen, but we are travelling for christmas and can't bring it back. a sled is also a great christmas gift.

if you're looking for less expensive options, stuff like stickers, playdoh, and crafting items are also super popular with my kids (and the bonus is that they get used up and won't be in your hosue forever)

@bbwjule Daughter just turned three, and we got all this, but swap the Yoto player for a kids fire tablet. We do A LOT of long car rides to see family, so it’s going to come in handy this weekend. We heavily restrict screen time at home, but she’s been loving the games on it when she gets it. I love that I can easily set controls on it, and lock it remotely from my phone.

But she has been so into the Magnatiles, and lost her mind when she opened the Disney princess brio set my parents got her. I also suggest a Highlights magazine subscription. We’ve only gotten two so far, but it’s super handy to take with us to appointments, and has some really cute crafts and recipes.

I’d also look into board games. I really like the ones from Peaceable Kingdom. Those and puzzles are a hit. She’s also getting a kids digital camera, so hopefully I will no longer be getting 30 random pictures of feet on my phone, and a flashlight.

@christinaf I'm not really sure of the brand. It's one of those ones on Amazon that's the same camera with sold under 20 different names. But the reviews were decent, and that and the case were about $40.

@bbwjule my daughter is turning 5 in a week and we got her a yoto player for christmas two years ago I think? I guess maybe last year idk anymore. she uses it almost every day still. so awesome.

@inobelwilken07 we are generally anti-screen parents but not insane about it. we take some 3-4 hour long road trips to see family and we know we can occupy her for a good amount of that drive with sticker books toys etc. maybe like 30ish minutes on the ipad. the yoto player will give her something to do that's typically productive and educational. she has headphones on listening to all sorts of cool things not just stories. I would recommend looking into "lady bird adventures" (my daughter loves facts and science and non fiction stuff about animals, space, the sea etc). you can also play any of the cards from your phone which is great in the car. you can also make your own cards but i'm not sure how that works - my wife does all that. it's also sometimes been something she enjoys listening to when going to bed.

@christiangirl5 Also in case someone doesn't know. Lego bricks and duplo bricks are compatible. So they can merge them increase their building potential. My almost 3 loves his brothers Legos so we've planned a few of the 4+ lego city sets that have more pre-built components.
We also found a "marble run" that has large balls and not marbles that are duplo compatible.

@kievonn Tubes or buckets of different animal playsets, i.e. dino land, barnyard, coral reef. Collapsible tunnel/tent, bonus points if they connect to a ball pit. Board books, stickers, art sets. And remember, no matter what the kid actually gets, the wrapping paper and empty cardboard boxes will be the toddler's favorite toy.

@maddmace You have no idea how much I needed the reminder about how she’s really only gonna care about the wrapping paper 😭 I’m a thrift store mom and a lot of these expensive suggestions are making me nervous ngl lol

@kievonn My son’s absolute favorite Christmas present when he was 3 was a bucket of cinnamon-scented pinecones. (He specifically asked Santa for pinecones and Santa delivered!) He is still thrilled when they make their appearance when the holiday decor comes out a couple years later 🤣

@kievonn Honestly at 3, a few thrift store items in seperate parcels would be just fine! There will be a time where they’re exceptionally specific or fussy but at 3, you’re all good 💗 I got my daughter a giant unicorn from marketplace for $10 (nzd) so probably about $5 usd

@kievonn Totally understandable, toy prices will make the staunchest of thrifters flinch. My little is 3 and a half and this seems to be when everything is the most fascinating. It's going to be more about having presents to open than the contents at this age, so maybe some stuff that can be set aside for the next season like a little veggie growing kit or some pool toys, basically anything on the back shelf of the clearance rack. Even a pair of basic white socks will be fun if it's in wrapping paper at this age lol.