New Dad Tips

arielleshapiro

Hey guys. My wife and I graduated yesterday with a healthy baby boy. My wife rocked labor and delivery. She went from 3cm, to 5cm, to 10cm in about 6 hours and it only took 2.5 pushes to see our boy. It was truly amazing. Thought I’d share a few things I’ve found helpful in the first 24 hours, in no particular order:
  1. Just talk to mom. Doesn’t matter what it’s about. She just needs somebody to talk to and to listen.
  2. Find a way to step out of the room a few times when it’s possible. That mental break of a few minutes was a major help to me.
  3. A shower, a strong cup of coffee, and a good breakfast will change your world after that first night. Find a way to make that happen.
  4. Your LO may have some trouble eating at first. It’s EXTREMELY distressing - but totally normal. Try not to let it get to you.
Hope some of these help y’all.

@katrina2017 Thanks brother. Will do. I’ll go ahead and add something now. I wrote #4 right before trying to feed my son this morning. The nurse showed me a few things, and he downed the entire bottle like a champ. The relief and pride I felt were unbelievable. So just stick it out. You and your LO are learning a lot.

@arielleshapiro Just a bit of advice you never asked for, so feel free to ignore.

I exclusively pumped for my baby since she has a cleft and can’t latch. I felt like a milking cow when all I was doing was pumping with a machine next to me, and my husband got all the baby snuggle time and the fun of feeding her. I resented basically feeling like I incubated her for 9 months and I’m pumping for hours a day, but not getting any of the feel good hormones or cuddles of actually feeding her (and he did none of that, but got all the “reward”).

So… offer to do laundry or washing the pump parts and bottles or something every now and then while she gets to feed the baby.

@katrina2017 One thing too add. Wife was. Ot producing milk at birth despite baby latching right away. I ended up holding LO while the wife slept the rest of the night. Tried feeding a few times but nothing was coming. LO was getting fussier and fussier. We ended up getting 2oz of formula milk from the hospital and solved everything.

Tldr. Don't be afraid of formula if mom isn't producing yet.

Back