Neighbours complaining about noise

alanson

So yeah our neighbours (both around 30, daughter is 1) complained today about the noise and asked us to be quiet around 6:30/7:00 p.m.) Apparently our twins (also
both 1) are too noisy.

The only circumstances when I can recall it being noisy was during the christmas holidays because the kids opened their presents and were really excited to try them out. Every night I will bring both of them to bed at 7:00 and after that it’s quiet for the whole night. I can’t change that it can be noisy before bed time. It’s challenging already and I tried to keep it down today but it has gotten frustrating really quickly. In our country it’s a rule that from 10 p.m - 6 a.m you’re supposed to be quiet and let’s say our neighbours did not care about that during the summer when they had BBQ at evening and visitors that stayed till the morning and were really loud outside. Did we complain once ? No, but now I will. I’m just really frustrated and needed to vent. Thank you for listening

@alanson Eh, I'd ignore them. Usually quiet hours in duplexes and apartments aren't until 10 or so (I'm assuming it's one or the other since neighbors can hear your kids). If it really is occasionally then they need to get over slight noises heard through thin walls or find a home that doesn't share walls.

Only reason to really care is if there is excessive noise from constantly running or constantly screaming crying etc. 630/7pm is rediculous and as you said your kids are in bed by 7ish. If you want to head it off yku could always let your apartment manager know there may be a complaint if they continue and explain your kids are in bed at 7 and there's rarely any noise after. Normal Kid and people noise is just par for course for multiple family housing.

And I say this as someone who lives in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors because.....I don't like excess noise or people 😅

@valsaex Yeah that’s true😊 they also knew we had twins when they moved in, so I wonder what they expected 😂 I already won’t let my kids drive around with their bobby cars in the morning and evening and put away things that are loud wren they throw it on the floor. But about the tantrums and the running I can’t do much for now. The weather was really bad the last two weeks so we couldn’t go outside that often either..

@alanson I vote you kill them with kindness. Invite their daughter for a playdate at the park or bring them some "art" your children made theirs. They are also parents of a one year old, so I'm willing to bet they've experienced the same bedtime meltdowns or excited toddler utterances you have, just not in stereo. Maybe once they get to know you as a person, they'll realize that you are struggling with the same toddler shenanigans they are and give some grace.

And as a fellow parent of one year old twins I can say: you are rocking this parenting thing. What we do is hard, and yet, we rise to that challenge each and every day!

@learningbygrace I actually planned on inviting them bc I saw her walking the street up an down with her daughter and we sometimes smalltalk. I never saw her daughter with other kids so I thought why not try being friends with my twins. 😊 we’ll see how it goes

@alanson Yeah we’re in the same situation. Quiet hours in our apartment building are 10-6am and during those hours we are quiet —all except the baby when she wakes up anyway.

We’ve had a few complaints, including one anonymous one from our 20 something year old neighbor who is (according to the caretaker) out late nights and constantly forgetting her keys and calling him to let her in. She complained we wake her up in the day. Well…sorry. But quiet hours are 10pm to 6am, not 10am to 6pm. Maybe get ear plugs and a noise machine?

The others are the old couple we live above. Sucks for them and they have my sympathy. I tell the kids to walk not run about 80 times a day to try and keep things quiet for them and we’ve put down rugs, etc. really they should be glad we’re not students throwing loud parties every single weekend.

At any rate, ignore them. You have the right to live your life and they just have to deal.

@mcpon14 Dang, with 20 I didn’t even think about complaining. That really sucks! Our neighbors live above us, so I wonder what noise they are hearing ? they surely can’t hear them running around

@alanson “Why are my neighbors walking on the god damn ceiling!? I’m complaining to the housing coop!” 😅

At least you’re on the ground floor then. Our downstairs neighbors live above an office and I wish to god we could trade places with them. Then our kids could run as much as they want!

According to my husband, sound in apartments tends to move through floors and ceilings more than walls so it’s probably yelling, loud talking, slamming, drilling, blending…any and all of those.

They do have some insulation panels you could get and attach to the ceiling (like large styrofoam pieces) that would prevent sound from traveling upwards if you’re determined.

Back