My IUGR story so far…

@mark730 I will tell you it's tough at first. My kiddo was born a month early. We were iugr and only found out during emergency c-section. Absolute shit OB and general care team. But we survived it and now dealing with a toddler who isn't a big eater and loves to throw fusses whenever. I gave him goldfish for lunch cause he is being so bad. He is teething. My first year was traumatic and I have ptsd but we are on a path towards healing. You got this mama.

@mark730 My almost 10 month old was diagnosed with IUGR at 32 weeks. I went for weekly NSTs, and ultrasounds every other week. She was born at 38 weeks via c section, and was much larger than they initially thought. We were expecting a 4-5lb baby, and she was born 6lb 11oz. She was short though (femur length is used to determine baby’s overall size/percentile), and wore preemie clothes for a while. She had some other complications not related to IUGR and required a stay in the NICU, but she’s a very healthy baby now.

@mark730 Hi. So I also have an IUGR baby born at almost 34 weeks until we did an emergency C. He came out at 2 lbs 14 ozs. They’re gonna give you steroid shots if you haven’t already gotten it to help with lung development. I had 4 shots.
When he came out— the main thing we needed to work on was weight gain and oral feeding and not via a nose tube. We were in the NICU for 3 weeks before we went home.
Now he’s a little over a month and all his tests like hearing, vision, PT are all doing well.
I know the anxiety and worst case scenarios thinking you may be experiencing. Take it one day at a time. T
Do what makes you sane— is it online research? Is it no research? Ask questions and advocate for yourself with medical professionals.
You got this.

@mark730 One of my twins was IUGR. 1st percentile the whole pregnancy. We knew she was small from the beginning because we got pregnant via IUI. We didn't know she was 1st percentile until the 20-week ultrasound though. I don't recall the rest of the statistics. But I was getting weekly ultrasounds to monitor growth and do dopplers for cord flow from 20 weeks. And starting at 26 weeks we did bi weekly NST's. I declined the amnio as well. There's no family history on either side of genetic abnormalities. My babes were delivered at 34+5 because I ended up with pre-e coming on very suddenly. We had a 16-day NICU stay. IUGR twin came out at 3lbs 13oz; and left the NICU weighing 4lbs 2oz. We're just a couple days away from the 7 week mark and they're both thriving.

I was working the whole time and it was stressful and scary and I left almost every appointment crying because even though her cord flow was always good and she was maintaining consistent growth; they kept giving me gloom and doom at every ultrasound. Everything turned out just fine though. I wish you luck. If you have questions feel free to message.

@mark730 My two month old was IUGR at around 28-30 weeks with short long bones in his legs. He was under the 10th percentile; very stressful 2nd and 3rd trimester. Did the NIPT, BPP twice a week with twice weekly scans. He was delivered via c-section at 36+2 without a steroid injection. He weighed 5lbs - they projected less than 4lbs. He's pretty perfect, no short legs. He was on CPAP and supplemental oxygen due to wet lungs, and stayed in NICU for about 2 days. He turned around pretty fast and went from being on CPAP and taking IV fluids to feeding from a bottle and being discharged with me day 3 (I left the hospital the day after my section, it's hard sharing a room with a family that has a newborn while yours is in NICU). He's 2 months now, one month adjusted and weighs around 9.5lbs.

@mark730 My daughter was diagnosed with severe IUGR starting at 23 weeks after she dropped from 11th to 3rd percentile after the 20 week scan. At week 25 they saw I had elevated dopplers and I started going in 2x week for NSTs and ultrasounds. I ended up developing pre-e around 32-33 weeks when my blood pressure went high, and then right at 33 weeks I was admitted since my cord flow went to intermittent absent. I delivered right at 34 weeks when the pre-e became severe. She was born at just over 3 pounds and spent almost 4 weeks in the NICU. It was a relatively uneventful stay as she was just learning to eat and gain weight. She’s now 4 months old (2.5 months adjusted) and doing SO well!

When we got the news it was extremely stressful and it felt like each appointment we got worse news. We ended up doing amnio since I had such a big drop in growth and luckily it came back normal. The genetic counselor said that it’s

@mark730 I was told IUGR around 31 weeks but also ended up with severe pre eclampsia shortly after that, she was measuring in the 3rd percentile at the time and I ended up being admitted on bed rest and had the monitor on for about a week. We made it to 34weeks before they had to do an emergency C-section due to my blood pressure but she was 16” and 4lbs exactly(her head was like 50th and body was 11th percentile). I’d had the steroid shots already so we were pretty lucky, she didn’t need oxygen just to learn how to eat and temp control. We had some issues there but we went home after 37days and now at 9months she’s a chunky 17lb baby with no problems(unless you count the attitude🤔)

@mark730 Hi! I am so glad I saw your post. I am going through something very similar. This is also my first pregnancy and I am currently 26 weeks 4 days pregnant with my little IUGR baby. I have also been diagnosed with SUD, velamentous cord insertion and vasa previa. Right now, the MFM doctors are more concerned with baby’s size more than anything. She is currently in the first percentile and weighed 607 grams at my last appointment last Wednesday. Also negative NIPT results and we declined the amino due to the same reasons as you and your husband. Dopplers have ranged from 4-6 and amniotic fluid is normal. The doctors are pretty certain it is due to placental insufficiency, as well as the abnormal cord insertion.
I believe I am starting weekly NSTs tomorrow, along with my weekly cord dopplers and growth scans every 2-3 weeks. We also had a NICU consult last week to prepare us for the complications they regularly see with preterm babies.
Due to my vasa previa, I will be admitted at 32 weeks (if not sooner if I have any concerning symptoms, if baby stops growing or if I have reversed or absent cord flow) and c-section at 36-37 weeks (if not sooner). Since my anatomy scan at 20 weeks, I have been an anxious wreck and have not been able to relax. I’m grateful for all of the monitoring but boy it is overwhelming and depressing at times. You are not alone in this and I am sending you and your family all my best!

@mark730 Hi! My baby girl was diagnosed with IUGR with elevated Dopplers at 28 weeks. I was able to stay outpatient with increased monitoring for 4 days until they found intermittent absent end diastolic flow at 28 + 6. From there I was hospitalized until delivery, with the goal to make it to 34 weeks. Unfortunately fetal distress caused us to deliver via c-section at 32 + 1. Luckily I had had two rounds of steroids and we were able to intervene in time and she had a pretty uneventful 42 day NICU stay, and she’s doing amazingly now at 12 months!!!

I developed postpartum preeclampsia two days after delivery. I was so caught off guard by this because I thought I was in the clear once I delivered. We experienced a lot of trauma but our medical team was able to successfully monitor and manage our pregnancy and my baby is totally fine now. I as a velamentous cord insertion which could have caused it, and I had COVID at 18 weeks.

IUGR is SO scary but hopefully since they caught it early they can give you the support you need ❤️ definitely listen to your body and play it safe. Opt for more monitoring and/or hospitalization if it’s offered. I don’t know if my baby would have survived without being that closely monitored! Sending you love ❤️

@mark730 Your story is almost exactly the same as ours.

Growth scan at 18 weeks, short bones 27w before reverse flow came into the picture.

27w reverse flow showed up

27+1 we delivered.

23w she was measuring at 350g
27+1 she measured at 550g.

We are still in the nicu 200+ days later but outside of her lungs being underdeveloped with BPD, she is a happy healthy baby and developmentally appropriate.

You have a long journey ahead of you but please know it can end positively. Check my post history our journey hasn’t been easy but she’s worth the struggles and 200+ days.

@mark730 Sending you all the love. I had my baby at 35+5 after growth scan two weeks prior picked up he had stopped growing and had IUGR and SGA. (Thanks to my amazing midwife who realised my bump had stopped growing) I had pre eclampsia and ended up with an emergency c section when my blood pressure became harder to manage and he wasn’t growing in between scans. Dopplers also weren’t great. 100% he was better out than in. He was born at 1700g. The relief when he was lifted out of me is almost indescribable. It’s very rough when the joy of pregnancy gets stolen from you with all the extra monitoring and unknowns. Your feelings are valid, try and remember the complete assessment from the doctors and not just the unknowns or negative. I found reminding myself of positive things noted from scans for example helped me in such a time of uncertainty.

We had 26 days in NICU and 24 days on tube feeding. It’s a journey. My biggest advice is to be kind to yourself in so many ways but especially when it comes to their feeding. I struggled to maintain breast feeding and had to switch to formula which broke my heart but it was the best thing and he is now almost 5 months (4 months corrected) and is now over 5kg.

You will find a strength in you that you didn’t know was possible. I still get triggered and cry a lot about our experience but that’s ok.

Back