My colleague likes to comment on my pumping. He doesn’t know I’m going to be his boss starting in October

@luvgodforever Hey Thad! "The federal Break Time for Nursing Mothers law requires employers covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)--that us!--to provide basic accommodations for breastfeeding mothers at work. These accommodations include time for women to express milk and a private space that is not a bathroom each time they need to pump." That's where I'm headed now. Got my pump right here (pat bag), so...if you'll excuse me. Thanks!

@luvgodforever First of all, congratulations! That is amazing. Second of all, sorry you have to deal with such a tool. I have a feeling the comments won't end, though; Thad sounds like he doesn't learn quickly. I hope you have fun firing Thad in a few months, though!

@perplexedperry When my boss told me about the promotion (I was still on my parental leave), her second comment after “congratulations “ was “and now you have the manage Thad. I’m sorry.”

It’s going to be a headache. I also hope to have fun firing him in a few months.

@luvgodforever I used to take some meetings by phone in the pumping room instead of attending in person. A male coworker with two grown kids!!! would make comments why I could never attend that meeting time in person and I finally had to tell him it would probably be less awkward for all of us if I pumped in private instead of the conference room but I was open to giving it a shot if it was that big of a deal to him.

I also was the one to respond to people’s “where are you off to?” With “Just off to be a cow” and hold up my pumping bag. It was a conservative company and I enjoyed leaning into the awkwardness.

@luvgodforever A similar thing happened to me -- I was wearing an outfit with no pockets and needed to change my tampon and maybe a pad. Grabbed my (large) purse to go to the bathroom, and my co-worker shouted in an open office "Are you leaving?"

"No, just going to the bathroom"

"Oh, why are you bringing your purse?"

I just gave him the most withering stare I could muster and kept walking. So I would recommend that approach.

@katrina2017 That happened to a friend of mine in high school. A guy was trying to insinuate that she was planning to cut class. ("She's taking her purse with her to the bathroom? Come on!") She was an extremely serious person and said "Gabe, I want you to think really hard about why a woman might take a purse with her to the bathroom. Just think about it."

I don't think he got it though.

(He was actually generally a pretty nice guy, just had no filter or impulse control.)

@luvgodforever A colleague was once pissed that his lunch was locked in the wellness room - but there are other lunches in there! Those are lunches but not for grown ups, my guy.

But also, F-your company. It sounds like they're giving you a shit-sandwich. He's going to make your life harder if he's already salty about not being your manager anymore. Get ready for a PIP...

@amyln No kidding, I wouldn’t want to be stuck managing him! That sounds horrible and he anyways sounds like an underperformer even if he didn’t make you uncomfortable

Back