Music Q & A

casej121

What kind of music do you and your SO like to listen to, and how (if at all) will that change once you have little ones?

For example, my husband and I mostly listen to alternative music. Other than removing a few songs with swear words from our rotation, I don’t anticipate that will change. But when I was a kid, we listened to non-stop Raffi, Disney, Sesame Street, etc. I didn’t even know what kind of music my parents liked until we were all teenagers! And I didn’t know any popular bands, because thanks to my younger siblings, I was STILL listening to kid music in middle school :p

How about you? What do you like, and what will you play for your kids?

@casej121 I grew up on everything from 40s doo-wop to 80s hair bands and everything in between. I am a fan of Broadway showtunes, Billy Joel, 80s rock, modern alternative, instrumental, Mindless Self Inulgence (talk about swearing! haha)... you name it! My husband is a bit more simple, primarily liking alternative with a little classic rock (Tom Petty, REO Speedwagon) thrown in there.

We haven't changed what music we listen to at all since having our daughter who is now 2. One of my favorite videos of her is her dancing like a maniac to "Bat out of Hell" by Meat Loaf. :D I'm not scared of our daughter being exposed to swearing.

@casej121 I listened to a lot of indie & alternative as a teenager, but now I listen to pretty much everything. My husband likes metal. We also enjoy cheesey rubbish from our youth. I'd share our music with kids but try to avoid things that are sweary or inappropriate. I wouldn't buy kids music, but I wouldn't try to stop them listening to it if they wanted to.

My parents didn't play us 'kids' music, but they played The Beatles a lot in the car when we were younger. My Dad played us folk. When we got older they were happy to let us listen to what we liked. I appreciate that they weren't snooty about what we liked and would say if they enjoyed something we were listening to without trying to be "cool parents". I hope we can strike the same balance.

@casej121 I'm a country girl, like my father. My husband listens to a lot of music, in all genras. We plan on having music around all the time, and to expose future children to everything.

@casej121 We listen to a lot of newer rock currently while together. I can listen to almost anything and enjoy it, but my favorite is usually covers done in different genres than the original song. I was raised on Kiss, Metallica, ACDC, 80's hair bands and will probably play a lot of that in our house, but my Pandora is almost always on 80's pop or musical soundtracks. When we have our niblings we tend to play Disney music more often, but I also work with children so I don't mind. I plan on playing lots of jammy jams (current and older rock and pop songs minus the lyrics played like lullabies) when baby is little.

@casej121 I grew up listening to Joan Jett, Cheap Trick, Journey and pretty much any 80s/90s rock band lol. My sister and I liked Disney songs and Disney channel songs growing up but we got that rock from my mom lol. I'm into that genre and I like mainstream pop bc you kinda just listen to it.

My partner grew up the same way with music. They didn't listen to rock but they were always listening to popular music of their time. My partner likes songs like "brown eyed girl", Tracey chapman songs, "what's up" by 4 none blondes, really anything she can sing to lol

I think we'll do the same. Let them listen to what we do, censoring for PG-13 and R content.

@casej121 DH and I differ greatly on our music choices, to the point that we just don't listen to the radio when we are in the car together. I like variety, and he likes maybe 1 radio station. I'll definitely be working to make sure our kids can appreciate different types of music!

I really like audiobooks and will work those into our road trips as well.

@casej121 I grew up listening to a pretty interesting mix of music: 90s pop, my mom's 70s hits, my dad liked the Beatles, the Cars etc. I also like Yanni, 80s rock, country, pretty much anything that isn't screaming or just noise.

My husband is Colombian so he listens to a lot of salsa, marengue, bachata, and reggeaton. Our house has quite the selection playing lol

@casej121 I grew up listening to the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, and a myriad of different types of Brazilian music (oh, also I'm from Brazil). I "went through a phase" of being really into metal, which never went away, but I have broadened my music collection since high school to include any and all kinds of rock/metal/alternative, hip-hop, rap, pop, R&B, techno/EDM, etc. The only type of music I don't like is country.

My husband also likes the same type of music, except that not. We like different types of rock - I like thrashy, harder stuff, he likes more melodic stuff.

As far as music for future kids, I imagine it will be a mix of everything we listen to now, maybe removing some of the more "inappropriate" songs - you know, no need for a kid to listen to "die motherfucker die motherfucker die!"

I will also introduce music from my home country, because it's very important to me that our future children know and love my culture.

And I suppose no one can escape the kid music, so I'm sure we will include the newest Disney jams in our playlists. Maybe we have a couple of playlists with Disney music on it already... not even ashamed =D

Back