Minority language development and process!

brittanyolee

We do OPOL at home.
We have currently 2 kids (3,5 / 1,5)
Myself I speak minority language w/ my kids and the oldest can speak it and communicate. I am actually looking for what needs to be taught and at which time. I understand is not a one size fits all but since I am not a language teacher - I struggle with which kind of exposure is next.
Do I teach her more vocabulary? In which way? Do they see cartoons in minority language? Music on the background? Or I follow the subject they have in pre school? Any tips / useful resources? Thanks

@brittanyolee So continuing to just speak and being consistent (even if they start talking to you in the community language) is number one for sure. We also do OPOL with our three kids and our most successful ways to reinforce our languages are:
  • FaceTiming with family members in our languages
  • visits in the countries where the languages are spoken when possible
  • books
  • songs
  • TV shows (when kids are old enough) in the languages
  • seeking out other families in our area who speak our languages and having the kids hang out together
  • when possible (not super often) checking out theater or films presented for kids in our family languages in our area
  • board games
  • specialty toys/items that exist in your languages if it's possible; for example, there is this great book series with an interactive scanner pen called TipToi that is available in several languages and various knock-offs of this concept exists in other languages- another example

@relle25 Seems to me I am already doing all I can do. Only point missing will be the interactive toys which I will take a look in depth soon. thanks for your feedback.

@brittanyolee Just keep speaking and using the language. Take her to museums and just discuss everything you see in minority language.

Go borrow lots of books (or buy) in minority language and keep reading.

I also follow what preschool does as much as possible.

@brittanyolee I’ve been doing OPOL with two kids (2 and 5) and at least for us, following their interests has been the best language strategy. We do listen to a lot of music and watch some tv, we read books in both mine has my husband’s languages every night, we try to hang out with other families and kids who speak our languages and we talk to our families a lot. Our kids also love to be outside so they know the names of a lot of animals and plants, it’s also easy to teach them different games that way. I think following their interests is important because that’s when they are motivated to learn something, as opposed to following a preschool curriculum or otherwise making it too academic

@brittanyolee No, they only hear English passively at home because that’s what me and hubby speak between us and that’s one of the majority languages where we live. I agree that it becomes trickier to keep things in balance when it’s minority vs majority language at home

@brittanyolee Just continuing to consistently speak the minority language is the most important thing. Interactions with others who also speak the language are important, whether through FaceTiming with family or through playdates with kids who actually speak the language (not always easy to find, depending on the area and the prevalence of other speakers nearby). Any books you read to them, I would translate into minority language (because ideally any word you utter to them would be in that language). Don't introduce screened media earlier than necessary, but once you do, I would seek out content in the minority language. You can play music in the minority language as well, but most of the benefit will come from interactions with you and others.