How to do OPOL when 1 parent speaks 2 different but similar (minority) languages?

@matthew0101 Hey there, I don't have a solution but just want to share some perspective. I grew up speaking Mandarin with my parents, siblings, and most of my friends, but my parents speak Cantonese to each other and their parents and siblings. We also watch Cantonese TV at home. I ended up fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

The difference is I plan to pass on only Mandarin to my future kids as that's the language I use with my family, and as you said, it'll be difficult to split the time between the two languages. We live in an English speaking country and my husband doesn't speak either Mandarin or Cantonese.

In your case, since Galician is important to you, maybe it's better to focus on Galician since that's the minority language? And then introduce Spanish when they are older? They would have a lot more opportunities to learn Spanish when they are older but getting exposure to Galician would be difficult.