Milk supply question

zeloo777

Can your milk really dry up with calorie deficit?
I’m just thinking how your body does everything to keep your baby alive. For example, even if you don’t take prenatal vitamins your body will deplete itself to give those nutrients to your baby.
I’m genuinely wondering. Does anyone have some insight from personal experience? Or professions (i. e. postpartum nutritionist).

@zeloo777 I’ve really struggled with my appetite postpartum, haven’t wanted to eat anything, barely can choke down a protein shake each day, and as long as I stay hydrated my supply has been great and no dips. I drink lots of water/Gatorade/coconut water etc. I know that’s not everyone’s experience but just mine personally I’m in a large calorie deficit and have a steady supply as long as I’m hydrated well.

@misskeng Isn’t it crazy? I had renal failure with my first birth and had no appetite for the first few months PP. I rapidly lost way too much weight, had no muscle mass, and still had a major oversupply of milk until my kid was like 10 months old.

This time around everything was perfect during birth and my supply is also perfect, but damn it takes all my effort to lose half a pound a week. Ya can’t win ‘em all, I guess.

@zeloo777 I drink minimum 6 litres of water a day, plus whatever extras I can get in. Usually a bottle of Gatorade mid day, and in the evening a can of club soda with about 1/4 cup orange juice and coconut water mixed in.

@zeloo777 Doula here. It takes energy to make milk. Energy in the form of calories. It absolutely will tank your supply if you reduce your caloric intake. If you want your supply to be steady: Drink a lot of water and eat the same amount of calories you were eating to establish and maintain your supply.

There is a reason why lactating people get ravenously hungry and their supply dips when they try to reduce their caloric intake to lose weight. Your body is fighting to maintain your supply. If you are going to nurse then nurse. Eat the calories your body needs to nurse. You will not lose all the weight you want to lose until you wean.

@unfaithful I really wish someone was real with me like this. All I kept hearing is “the weight will melt off once you start BF.” It wouldn’t sway me not to BF but it would definitely set realistic expectations for myself. It wasn’t until me not losing weight and seeking out others on Reddit that I learned that the weight doesn’t melt off 😓

@zeloo777 I am known as the "tell it like it is" doula. 😂. I don't feel like it is helpful to birthing parents to lie and hide the truth from them. I approach truth-telling like I would want someone to tell me if the situation were reversed.

The truth: While there are magical unicorns whose extra weight melts off while BF, they are generally few and far between. Even if you look at the women in your family (Mom, aunts, cousins, grandma, great grandma) their experience will likely differ from yours.

I tell my clients that if they make the conscious choice to breastfeed (I use that language for a reason) that means that more than likely they will still have weight to lose when they wean. Dieting while BF more than not will decrease your breastmilk output. The same as being dehydrated will decrease your output. Your body cannot make milk without an adequate amount of calories and without your being hydrated. Period. That is just biology.

I suggest going to your ob-gyn and getting cleared to begin to exercise slowly. Get assessed for possible diastasis recti before you start as exercise can make it worse. Get a recommendation to a PT to assess your pelvic floor BEFORE YOU START EXERCISING.

When you are cleared start slowly. Walking. Yoga. GENTLE stretching. Understand and accept that it will take time to lose weight. Understand and accept that breastfeeding impedes weight loss for a reason. Give yourself TIME to adjust to the new normal. It will TAKE TIME.

@zeloo777 I need to eat a lot to produce milk. I cut down to 2200 calories a day to hit my goal weight. Was taking about an hour to pump 4 ounces.

Last night I ate 8 heaping spoons of peanut butter over the course of one hour on top of my usual food (🤦🏿‍♀️lmao). I pumped 5oz in under ten minutes.

My supply is def affected by my calorie intake.