Middle Ground for Imogen and Evangeline

coolpeeps

My fiance and I are planning on TTC soon so naturally, as a planner, names have been a frequent topic of discussion. Girls names, to be specific, as boy's names seem to come easy for us. He named our firstborn, Arthur, so I'm supposed to get to name the next one. Our next boy name is Augustus, I had originally picked August and acquiesced to lengthening it to Augustus as he preferred it. However, my girl's name isn't as easy to compromise on. It's Imogen (Ih-muh-jen) and he's finally admitted he has Evangeline in mind. I actually think the names are quite similar, starting with a vowel, having a G in the middle, and ending roughly with a N.

Reasons I don't love Evangeline: Too long, I prefer around 6 letters, 8 max. We're not religious and the name is pretty strongly religious. Also, I just think it's getting more trendy in the US vs Imogen being relatively rare.

Reasons he doesn't like Imogen: He thinks it looks like the word "Imagine" and he doesn't like the nickname Idgie but we've already discussed that's just one of many.

Anyone have names that could be a middle ground for us to consider?

Names I'm playing with:

Ivy-Wren or Iveryn (He has a 3 letter name and doesn't like it, so he won't go for just Ivy and he doesn't like Ivery/Ivory)

Elspeth (I just feel like it'd be harder in the US)

Ailene (too plain?)

@annbella Does your cousin get any comments about her name being so close to "Image" or "Imagine"? I've considered changing the spelling to Imagen to hopefully make it more intuitive for other Americans if they're unfamiliar but my fiance thinks it just looks like Image with and N tacked onto the end. Though that's basically the pronunciation.

@coolpeeps She was actually named to honor the name Imogen (our grandma) and after the John Lennon song (imagine all the people). She never gets any bad comments believe it or not. People love her name and the story!

@coolpeeps My daughter is four and has two Imogenes in her class. No Evangelines yet and we have a pretty big network for young kids names. Imogene was one of my top girls names when naming, hence my monitoring.

@coolpeeps I'm also in the PNW and we are having a boy, but if it was a girl, Imogen nn Gene after my Grandpa was our top name. I have never met anyone or heard it used!

@coolpeeps Sounds like you’re not really looking for middle ground, but still just tied to Imogen- considering the only comments you have responded to are the Imogen specific ones…

it looks like you’re not really looking to compromise with your husband, but rather just prove him wrong. He feels how he feels… OTHER people not seeing the resemblance to imagine doesn’t really matter, he does. And he doesn’t like it.

Think of him reversing the roles and rather than accepting that you don’t like some name, he just tries to use family and friends to gang up and say they all like it and your opinion doesn’t matter.

Back