Mattress shopping thoughts & research

shamekahshaw

After being deep in decision paralysis trying to buy a mattress for sleeping on the floor with baby, I’m this close to making a purchase. Thought I’d lay out the choices I found in case it helps anyone else make a purchase—and maybe you can help me make the final call. Told my husband I’d sleep on it, yet here I am reading mattress reviews at midnight.

Goals: Firm / Low to ground / Non-toxic / Affordable

After car seat shopping sent me down the flame retardant rabbit hole, I started looking at bedding in a new way. Unfortunately non toxic bedding is way more expensive. What I considered “affordable” quickly ballooned. I’m attempting to take solace in the 2021 expanded child tax credit.

Initial interest: Japanese shikibuton style futon mattress. Japan has a culture of cosleeping on the floor and low SIDS rates. It can be folded to take up less space during the day. Recommended to pair with grass tatami mat for comfort and airflow.

I decided to get a full instead of twin so we weren’t too cramped. Tatamiroom is a good price ($225 + shipping) for natural cotton/traditional futon, but the shipping will take 6 weeks. J-life is more expensive ($299+shipping), but fast. My baby’s crawling around, so got to finally buy something now. What’s this about boric acid? It’s used as a flame retardant in both. Might be associated with endocrine and reproductive toxicity. J-life’s organic futon with naturally FR wool is 1k plus, NOPE.

The Futon Shop has a FR free wool/organic cotton futon for $400, but it’s soft!?

Overstock.com sells a wool/cotton FR-free shikibuton for $439 and there’s a 15% coupon so $373. It’s conventional but greenguard gold certified. The return policy is only for defective products. What if I don’t like it? Is this brand reputable? How much work is it to flip and sun? Tatami mat will be another ~$150+

Looking for more options for FR free firm mattresses, I find Latex for Less. This mattress is thin at 7”. It’s double sided, medium and firm, maybe easier to buy unseen? Could flip to softer side when baby is older? Thin enough to slide under our bed frame when not in use. Materials: Organic cotton (gots), wool, latex (oeko tex). No questions asked return/trial. Current sale price $799. Compared to other nontoxic/organic mattresses (1k-2k 🤯) , this price seems almost reasonable. Somehow I’m spending $800 on the baby bed now? Ships in 1 week. Best for 130lbs or less.

Competitor Sleep on Latex has GOLS organic latex and greenguard gold as well as GOTS and Oeko-Tex. 8” mattress has a little more distance for baby to bonk her head. Only one firmness level per mattress; reviewers say firm is very firm. Will this be uncomfortable for side-nursing? Also has trial period. Fastest shipping. Another $50 now the baby bed would be $850. However! They sell on Amazon, with my 5% back Amazon credit card the price is basically the same as latex for less.

I think I’m chickening out on a futon. With the latex mattresses I’m torn between the additional certifications of SOL vs the adaptability/thinner profile of L4L.

Other Notes:

Why no flame retardants? Seems to risk liver, kidney, endocrine, reproductive toxicity. Children are especially susceptible being smaller and still developing, and spend a large amount of time in bed.

Certifications as best I can figure:

Oeko Tex: certified free of harmful chemicals… except flame retardants.

Greenguard Gold: low volatile organic compounds (VOCs)/“off-gasing”

GOTS: organic textiles

GOLS: organic latex

Certi-Pur: semi-bogus arbitrary standards for polyurethane foam

Update:
I bought the SOL mattress and while I loved it on paper, it was not comfortable and I was having a lot of pain. It was also higher profile than I wanted at 9” and didn’t want to make it higher by adding softer toppers. The return process was seamless and the company great to work with. Definitely recommend them, just wasn’t right for us.

We got the naturepedic 2-in-1 recommended by a commenter below and I’m content with this. Organic, 7”, firm enough for baby sleep but the spring are a little more forgiving on my sharp points.

@shamekahshaw Omgosh, I do not miss the weeks I spent researching mattresses before I finally chose. What you have narrowed down to is literally exactly what my choices were narrowed down to as well.

I went with Sleep on Latex and I could not be happier with my choice. The only regret I have is that I got a queen instead of the king. Another thing is this mattress is freaking HEAVY, it is 140 lbs or something like that, so it's a pain in the butt to clean under.

I got the firm and it absolutely is very firm, I had to get a 1" medium topper to go over it, also SOL. It can still hurt the crap out of my hips and stuff, but definitely better than before, I also sleep on my back and stomach now that my son is a bit older. I originally got a 2" medium topper but I thought it had a little too much give. Once my son is older and out of this bed (or when he can sleep on softer mattress) I will get the 2" or 3" medium topper and be a little more comfy again.

@katrina2017 I’ve had the SOL mattress for a month or two now and I’m dying! For a while it felt decent but at night my arms and hands keep falling asleep and my ribs ache. I know they sell toppers (and offer a discount if sold as a mattress adjustment) but I don’t think we want the mattress any higher… I’m thinking of jumping ship and taking advantage of the return policy!

Also ugh it is so damn COLD sleeping on the floor! We live in a drafty farmhouse with no insulation. Right now have the mattress on top of a rug and rug pad, still, there’s like a straight up icy breeze creeping up at night no matter how much the wood stove is cranking. Brrrrr.

@shamekahshaw Oh no, I'm sorry it's causing you such pain! It definitely hurt me alot before I got the 1inch topper. It still hurts me a bit but not as much, I usually sleep on my stomach though, which I know not everyone is comfortable with. I have to wake up to move positions the way I sleep, but anyway it's been working for me. Once he is over 1 I think I'll get the 2" topper instead.

Do you not want the mattress higher in case baby rolls off? I also use the Safety 1st "Top of Mattress Rail" and that has kept my son from rolling off. It is safer than other rails since it is on top of the mattress, there is no way for then to roll between it and the bed.

I also totally feel you on the cold, once thing I noticed right way is these mattresses can feel cold for some reason. Our room is super drafty, I've just found I have to sleep with leggings and sweats on.

Anyway, I hope you figure out the right fit for you, it definitely sucks to be in pain! They are not kidding when they say firm.

@katrina2017 Thank you for your reply it’s really great to hear a take from the other side! How old is your son?

Sounds like you’re happy with the SOL + topper, though it makes me wonder about the perks of L4L being a little softer already, if I could avoid another $100+ expense to it if I can help it! Oh man, I’m already so sore from carrying around a giant baby I could use some restorative comfortable sleep.

Was it the additional certifications that made the break for you? I’m wondering how different it truly is. Both have the GOTS cotton; L4L foam is Oeko-Tex while SOL is the stricter GOLS. I can’t quite figure if the jump from Oeko-Tex to GOLS means much in this case. The conventional latex likely farmed with pesticides? And possibly processed with chemicals of concern that are permissible with Oeko-Tex? SOL also has the greenguard gold standard but I don’t know how much VOCs etc will really be an issue with just wool, cotton, latex materials.

Also thanks for the heads up on the weight. I was imagining using my latex mattress like a trundle bed and sliding it under our frame when not in use but sounds like that’s not realistic.

@shamekahshaw Yes for me it was the certifications and also the price (it was a little bit cheaper when I got it) for a mattress that I could see lasting a long time. From my understanding and research Oeko-Tex doesn't really mean much. I was looking for as natural as I could find. The mattress does smell a little interesting but it went away and now I only smell it if I stick my nose to it. Smells like wool and a rubber band.

My son is 8 months old, he has his side of the bed and I have mine, we usually both sleep on our back and come together to nurse in the night and then go back to our backs. I'm not sure how it works with other people but that is what works for us. I'm a super light sleeper so I wake up whenever I move positions. If I had to sleep on my side all the time I think I'd die. I really wish I knew what the medium SOL was like, I just really needed a new mattress ASAP and I didn't want to have to return it so I just went with firm knowing I can always add toppers.

And I totally understand carrying a heavy baby all the time. My son is 21lbs and I always have to carry him. Thank goodness for baby wearing because he is just too heavy to hold with my arms.

I hope you figure out what is best for you! Definitely make sure you can return whatever you get just in case you don't like it.

@shamekahshaw I have a latex allergy and sleeping on latex makes me feel like I have the flu. So I'd never choose a latex mattress, but I do love the feeling so I went with purple. Firm enough for baby, soft enough for me, but it is pretty expensive.

@shamekahshaw Take a few minutes to look at the Naturepedic kids 2-in-1. We have a full size for just my baby and I. It was under $600 I believe, but they have sales often. It’s been great for us!

@pure4u2 I’m seriously considering getting a full Naturepedic 2-in-1 for bed sharing w my 9 month old. Do you feel like it is firm enough for you and baby? Do you have it directly on the floor? I also can’t find anything about recommended weight or a weight limit on the mattress. I’m hoping that my LO will use it into her elementary school years but worry that my adult body would make a big indent in the mattress over time from cosleeping, screwing up my investment 😵‍💫

@blast0102 We’ve been using it for a little over a few months and there are NO indents or sagging. I am 170lbs and she is 20lbs at the moment. It’s definitely firm enough, although too firm for me at first, but I got used to it. I’m actually surprised it can hold my weight and still keep the little one in perfectly in place. It’s been a great investment for her and I’m hopping it will last through the elementary years too. We sleep on the waterproof side and will switch to the soft side when she’s older. Yes, we do keep it directly on the floor for now, but we lean it against the wall weekly for some air flow. It’s actually amazing how she has learned to safely crawl on and off on her own too!

@pure4u2 Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a sleep on latex but after a month or two everything hurts. I think I will take advantage of the naturepedic Black Friday sale and go for this one. Wish us luck…

@shamekahshaw Unfortunately it may still feel that way even with the naturpedic, until your body is truly conditioned to the hard sleep space. I used to sleep on the most comfortable pillow top bed so the switch over was excruciating to me. Putting a pillow between my thighs and knees does help a bit but when baby isn’t latched and is sleeping good I roll onto my back or even my stomach. Baby is happy as long as I’m there and I can roll back when she needs to nurse. I didn’t do this until she was older, vocal and could crawl.
I read your recent feedback above and I can relate because we also live in a cold climate and have a drafty house! We decided to seal the window up tight with plastic wrap (baby can’t reach) and a pair of insulating curtains (baby also can’t reach) and run a warm mist humidifier hours before we go to bed, then take it out when it’s time to sleep. Besides cranking up the heat that doesn’t even work great, we wear a lot of warm jammies, mom included! I know this all sounds like a pain, but it’s so worth getting good sleep for both baby and yourself. The bond from
bed sharing is so strong in my experience. Hope this helps OP :)
EDIT: I still do highly recommend the mattress though. If you can return your current one and give it a try under the warranty, I would go for it! Good luck!

@shamekahshaw Omg, I will be following this thread with bated breath. I’m in the exact same boat as you. The only insight I can offer is from my doula, a person I love and trust… she bed-shares and has two kids. She has the Futon Shop’s shikibuton that you mentioned. She does NOT have a Tatami pad underneath, and says she’ll flip it over when she changes the mattress sheet and will toss it outside in the sun when she remembers. She says it’s comfortable for her and that it’s lasted pretty well even though she hasn’t taken great care of it. I feel pulled to get this, but like you, I don’t want to shell out $ to buy a tatami pad, nor do I even have the space to air it out in the sunshine (like, how?!).

Update: I just checked, and the Futon Shop also has coconut coir pads as an alternative to a tatami mat. They’re a lot cheaper ($108 for a Queen)… I don’t know anything about these, but it’s making the shikibuton option a lot more attractive now.

@shamekahshaw I ended up getting a full sized Naturepedic 2-in-1 kids mattress. It’s working pretty well so far, although my hips do hurt a bit after sleeping exclusively on my side for a few hours. The mattress is firm but def has some give, and after a spontaneous barf session last night (the baby, not me), I appreciate the fully waterproof side even though it feels kinda weird to sleep on. There’s a 100 day return policy and I’m pretty sure we’ll be keeping it. The shipping cost for the futon was ridiculous (they ship from San Fran and I live in the Midwest), so I figured I’d rather invest in a mattress that’ll hopefully last the kid a long time. I’m sorry to hear the mattress you got isn’t working!

@blast0102 Thanks for your report. Sounds like a good fit for you two. The return policies do help but psychologically it’s a bit hard to take them up on it! Knowing the mattresses will likely be discarded or be a nuisance to return etc.

Do you have the mattress on the floor? I’m also trying to adjust to the cold! We are both in head to toe wool and it’s a fight against the cold floor and drafts. I saw naturepedic sells a very low (2”) platform but it seems pricey.

Back