Maternity clothes

torn12

I'm having a really hard time finding good maternity clothes. Sizing up in regular clothes doesn't work for me. I have a long torso and long arms. I'm only 27 weeks and my belly is already hanging out the bottom of "maternity shirts." I hate wearing leggings. I just bought some maternity long sleeve shirts on Poshmark that are cotton and modal and they're so short!!! I'm trying to avoid synthetics as much as possible but it's so hard with maternity clothes. I'm looking at H&M long sleeves but I have no idea if they'll even be long enough for my torso. I'm ok with a little bit of spandex if I have to, but even shirts with 3 or 5% spandex make me sweat and smell weird. Trying to avoid polyester and nylon as much as I can.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with maternity shirts that are long enough to last your whole pregnancy?? Especially in the winter? My last pregnancy I literally had ONE shirt that was long enough at 40 weeks. Unfortunately I sold it inbetween pregnancies and I wish I would've kept it now.

@torn12 Try shirts with ‘ruched’ sides.

Successful brands for me include Motherhood Maternity, Pea in a Pod, PinkBlush, and Hatch.

Good luck!

@torn12 Target has Ingrid and Isabelle and I bought almost all of my tops from them. The only thing is that I kinda regretted not buying nursing tops while I was pregnant because when baby was born I realized I had none lol

@torn12 My favorites were from H&M, Kindred Bravely, Motherhood Maternity, and Old Navy. But tbh because I didn’t have any nursing tops at first I just used regular maternity t shirts and it was fine, even in public.

@torn12 The maternity/nursing tops i had I stopped wearing very shortly after baby arrived as they’re just not flattering. I wear a nursing tank or bra with my regular shirts for nursing (button downs and loose tops are my favorites). I don’t think a flattering nursing top exists at this point lol.

@torn12 Nursing tops all kind of suck anyway. Either they function nicely and look like trash, or they look nice and are a bitch to use. I found a nursing tank I liked and just wore regular shirts/sweaters over those. Then I’d just take the sweater off and nurse or pump with just the tank on. If it was cold I’d put a regular old cardigan or sweatshirt over my arms.

@transformed89 That's what I've ended up doing! My first was a summer baby though so I just lifted my shirt up and whipped the boob out, belly out and everything because I would die of heat stroke otherwise. I wore am undershirt once we got to the cold months though. This baby will be a winter baby though so I'll definitely need those nursing tanks again

@torn12 I had good luck with the Motherhood maternity brand. Got most of my shirts of Amazon and they lasted me to the end (bought my normal pre preg size). For pants I had some great maternity pull on trousers from old navy that had a really comfy waistband that almost came up to my boobs. This was great because i did happen to wear a shirt that was a little short, you couldn’t tell!

@spiritofdiscernment Yeah, I’m not particularly tall but when I was pregnant I got some (used because they ain’t cheap) Eileen Fisher dresses. Their sizing runs large so they’re basically “swing” dresses or could be more like swing tunics if you’re taller. Maternity-friendly and good quality. I got some on poshmark and eBay

@torn12 I wore a spaghetti strap maternity tank top from Motherhood Maternity under all my maternity shirts. Partly because I was still cold all the time, and partly because it was more than long enough to tuck into my pants, so if my top shirt rode up, my belly was still covered. I have a long torso too and struggle to find things long enough while not pregnant!
When the baby was born, I just kept wearing it underneath my shirts for nursing. I could pull the top shirt up and the tank down and nurse without exposing my whole belly.

Back