Looking for Spanish print magazines that deliver to the US for 6 year olds

bradk

We were getting Highlights High Five Bilingüe but now we need something a little more advanced.

There are a lot of great Spanish magazines out there but can't purchase most of them:
  • Caracola by Bayard Education - my favorite of all the options because of the illustrations. Only sold in Spain (or maybe across Europe)
  • CUCÚ - another great one. This one is created in Columbia and not distributed to US.
  • National Geographics Kids en español - created in Madrid, Spain. Not available to people in US.
  • ¿Qué Tal? by Scholastic - Mexican Spanish and delivers within US but only available to teachers ordering 10 subscriptions or more.
  • Algarabía Niños - this is (was?) a print magazine created in Mexico City, but it might just be digitally available now, or maybe they just have backissues? Their online stores sells some backissues but they are prohibitively expensive ($35-$45 each)
  • Muy Interesante Junior - A nonfiction magazine created in Mexico for preschoolers but can appeal to older kids (7+ years) as well. Not sure if they still publish print copies. Paper versions were never sold in US but people can probably get digital issues through their iOS app
  • Kids Jot Down - this one is from Seville, Spain. No shipping to US, however, I'm not sure what ages it is for. It may be a little older than what I need
Print magazines available to purchase but not good choices for me:
  • ChopChop - kids magazine created in Massachusetts and published in both English and Spanish. Unfortunately my child has no interest in cooking or food
  • Cricket Media - discontinued their Spanish magazines Ladybug en Español and Iguana Magazine several years ago. Backissues can be ordered, however neither seems like a particularly good choice for us. Ladybug is less advanced than what I'd like, and my child has already seen a copy of Iguana and did not find it engaging
  • Explora Magazine - this seems like someone's personal passion project. There is no subscription but there are a few backissues available. However, I can't tell what age this is for and no sample inside pages are shown
Other magazines I found are for older kids.

I can inquire at my library if they have or can get Spanish magazines, but I really want a print subscription that can be delivered to the house and that my child can pick up and read whenever. We do not have a tablet or laptop available for them to use.

I have been shopping around for used magazine bundles on Ebay. Is there another place I should be looking?

If anyone is curious, we are learning Mexican Spanish.

@bradk Have you reached out to any of these magazine about overseas subscriptions? Overseas subscriptions often are always expensive (maybe twice as expensive) and take a surprisingly long time (in the old days, it could be like six week—I don’t know if that has improved at all), but US magazine and periodicals all offer oversees subscriptions and it’s generally not that expensive if it’s exactly what you want.

The alternative is to have everything delivered to a local address and you pick it up once a year or so, assuming you have family in the country and visit them that often, and then you dole them out one month at a time.

@kilroy59 I have reached out to a few publications but haven’t heard back, so the info I have about not shipping to the US is either from me trying to order online or through other people’s experiences. But it may be worth it to double check.

Unfortunately I don’t have family that lives in any of the countries but mailing to a local address and picking up every now and then is a great idea.

@bradk I'm in the same position! My kiddo has lost interest in High Five Bilingue. Maybe if we find 8 others we can order ¿Qué Tal?, haha.

@olufem I thought about asking our elementary school if we could add on to one of their orders, but it's unlikely they would want anywhere close to 9 subscriptions. Asking other parents to combine orders is another possibility but logistically that would take a lot of work.

@bradk I unfortunately don’t have anything to add, but wanted to thank you for putting all of this together! I’ve been looking for some sort of magazine subscription for my 6 year old and can probably work on getting some of these either through family in Mexico or our kindergarten teacher.

Re: algarabia, the prices may be in Mexican pesos?

@masonl9 It is a lot of research and that's why I put it out there. Hopefully it saves somebody else some time.

Regarding algarabía niños, it has a dollar sign next to the amount, but perhaps it's worth asking about. Those backissue prices are so steep.

@bradk When I went through a test checkout shipping was $170 to ship within Mexico… which made me think it was in pesos. I also don’t see any way to change currency. Definible worth looking into.

@andersonjeni That is great news. Caracola is one that I tried to order but the online portal wouldn't allow me to purchase because of my country. But I will reach out to them and ask.

@bradk National Geographic Readers are available in Spanish from Amazon. You have to order each individually but they about $5 and there are several to choose from.