Lab Results Meaning?????

@james6771 Absolutely. This actually makes a lot of sense. Obesity is linked to insulin resistance, which has a strong link with PCOS. Your testosterone and DHEAS are normal, which is good. By chance, was there also a free testosterone checked? Whether this is PCOS or amenorrhea due to obesity, the treatment goals are the same. Lifestyle changes to shed some pounds, and I typically start metformin but this is a personal choice. I saw on your profile thar you started provera. Did this induce a period? If you’ve been trying for some time to get pregnant, have you thought about seeing a repro endo?

Just some thoughts from a medical perspective. But by no means would I try to interfere with another physician’s plan, especially since I don’t know you and technically can’t offer medical advice online. But I feel like this could help you get some answers.

@phillipgainey Thank you for replying again!! I actually just got a message on mychart saying that my Doctor wants me to start metformin as well. I have been spotting since the second day of starting Provera but havent really started my 'cycle' i guess. I still have 5 more days of this tablet left. I dont think a free testosterone was checked, if so im still waiting on the results. The doctor I am seeing is a repro endo. Once I am put on Metformin do you think if I watch my diet and exercise that I can be taken off of it. Ive heard so many bad things on it. I wouldnt say we have been actively trying but more let it happen when it happens kind of thing. We have been pregnant before when I was 21 and in college and we actually had a termination. I feel like im being punished for it now. I really hope that this is just obesity related. Would it affect me for future pregnancies if I used all this medication for the first and then got off the meds to conceive later on again?

@james6771 Metformin in it of itself is not a bad drug. It can have some horrible gastrointestinal side effects, but I haven’t had patients complain that much actually. Yes, with lifestyle modifications and weight management, I tell my patients that it’s not a forever medication. It shouldn’t impact future pregnancies.

Please don’t feel like you’re being punished. I know that’s easier said than done, but I’m sure you had your reasons and did what felt right at the time.

Glad you’re seeing repro endo and hope he/she can help!

@james6771 Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound for cysts? Your FSH/LH ratio is PCOS like. Your AMH is also quite high. My labs look like yours and I was diagnosed with PCOS based on my FSH/LH ratio, AMH (which was 7.5), lack of periods and cysts on my ovaries. Do you have any facial hair, acne or loss of head hair?

@beryybverry I did have a transvaginal ultrasound in which she said my right ovary was polycystic and that it could be because of not having a cycle in so long. I also do have a little bit of facial hair and little bit of acne on my chin and loss of head hair. I wonder if ill be getting the diagnosis soon.

Back