Just looking for advice

yosi1111

Hi, I’m sorry about any spelling mistakes or grammar errors beforehand. I’m new to Reddit and I’m not sure how people format things on here.

Some info about me:

I’m a new mom (20y/o) and I had my baby on May 3rd. I’ve been struggling with PPD and had a problematic pregnancy.
I have family who help out and try and give advice about things but my mom can’t relate to me very well and her advice is very mixed and she tends to switch her mind a lot, as well as all her pregnancies went smoothly.

My little girl is turning 4 months in 4 days and she’s a pretty big baby for her age.

Questions;
  1. Any advice for the stage of development
    (4 to 6 months)
  2. When y’all started hard foods and water with your babies.
  3. What brand of cereal did you give your babies or homemade starters did you make?
  4. How do I get my baby to do tummy time more often? (She tends to scream right when you put her on her stomach)
  5. What dis you guys do to prevent PPD or to help With PPD?
  6. Is PP anger normal?
I’m open to any other advice you guys have as well! Thank you!

@yosi1111 I would discuss all of this with your doctors. The guidance on diet changes and it's possible to get into big trouble if you don't understand what their tiny systems are ready to do. "No major changes" is all I remember from my baby food days.

Every baby is different about what soothes them and what positions they like. Some of my kids just wanted to be held, so they were held a lot. If she hates being on her tummy before and after meals, maybe just skip it for now. She should be on a very firm surface when she's on her belly, with company.

All your feelings are normal!! You have been through a lot and now you have a whole new person to care for. Be as compassionate with yourself as you can and find a few moms who are understanding. If you can, attend free events or visit spaces with other families.

@yosi1111 Definitely talk to your doctor about your PPD, therapy is super important. Being a parent is insanely hard and most people only show you the happy parts.

You can always follow pediatric guidelines for food and water for your little one but take their cues too. And when you do start water, which is usually about 6 months, I recommend just starting with a straw cup. Munchkin has a weighted straw cup that's really great for babies.

When you start soft food, it's important to make sure they are ready. Try a bite and if she's ready, she will push the food around and eventually swallow. If she is not ready, she will gag. Gagging is not the same as choking so don't stress about it.

The more you can get her to participate in with you, the sooner she will learn to do things on her own. When you feed her, give her a spoon too. It will get messy but you'll see her learning quickly. And don't try to force her to finish anything. Babies know when they are full and if you push food, it can make her throw up or create an unhealthy relationship with food, like being picky or hating to eat.

When we had issues with tummy time, we did it on our tummies. Basically, I would lay on my back and lay her on my chest and talk with her. Technically you don't have to do tummy time but it does help for them to develop neck strength sooner.

Just know that PPD is normal and it's ok, just make sure to get help. Your local hospital might even have groups you can join.

@yosi1111 Talk to Baby's doc about development and diet.

My boy hated tummy time as well, so we never forced it. He had a playmat with toys that hung overhead and fun tags and stuff to play with on the mat itself. I'd put it on the floor and put him down on his back. After a while, he lost interest in the toys above him and started tummy time on his own to get the other toys.

As for the PPD and the anger, I don't know how "normal" it is, but I had the same problem. I highly recommend seeing a professional to give you the tools to get through it.

Join some mommy-and-me groups in your area, it'll help you feel less isolated.

All the best xx