Job Decision: keep the slightly toxic job that I know inside and out or switch to a brand new more creative job- with two toddlers - Help

hilbrand

Basically the title.
I put longer post a couple days ago but it didn't get much traction. I was offered the job and now I'm really going back and forth about it. I'm curious define people who made similar choices and if they were happy with what they chose.

Thanks
ahttps://www.reddit.com/r/workingmoms/s/lD872X3eGi
Previous post

@hilbrand I read your other post.

I have one more question

How much more potential for growth does this new job have compared to your old job. Will you be able to upskill (and thus be more employable) if you took this new job? Will you eventually get paid more doing this new job compared to your existing one?

I ask because if this new job can broaden your future horizon, then I would take it even if it’s further away and pays the same. Should you find it unsuitable, at least you’ve gained more skills which you can take with you and have more access to the job pool.

@one11 Very good questions. It doesn't really apply in my field.
I'm a teacher and I'm not really interested in going into administration (VP/ principal) So there is very little job growth.My career trajectory is most likely to do some version of the same job for the next 20 years whether I keep this job or take the new one. Should I find the job unsuitable, I would look for a different lateral move somewhere in the district.

Given the state of teaching,... not sure how many people have fallen the news about the students really ugly https://www.reddit.com/r/education/s/F8pqQagLly

It's possible that I will switch and leave teaching but I don't think either job will really set me up better than the other.

@hilbrand Thanks for answering.

I went back to read your post again.

In my opinion I would still go for the new job and my reasons are
  1. New school with new leadership means starting afresh. People have next to no history (good or bad) with each other so we can all put our best foot forward
  2. You get to dictate how/what you do. Few people have this opportunity to do this as you often come into an existing workplace with “traditions” that no longer make sense but it’s hard to “break traditions”.
  3. If you’re going to be spending half your life at work, you might as well enjoy it and run it the way you want.
  4. 6 min of travel time is a blessing but 20min isn’t that bad either.
I don’t have a teaching background or anything like that, but that’s my take on it anyways

@hilbrand I think this really depends on what you are wanting. Are you fine just cruising along for next few years with toddlers at home (that’s what I’m doing). Or are you bored and wanting a challenge?

If you aren’t super excited about this job, I’d say it’s a no. can you just wait and apply for different jobs?

@matt21 I'm kind of in the middle.
It's not exactly cruising but I'm very familiar with the job.
Starting with a new super creative job is exciting but is also kind of a lot.

For this new job,There are four of these positions total. One of them is this one. Two of the people are younger than me, So that just leaves one other position total. So in the next 20 years, If I turn this job down, there would be one other opening.

@hilbrand I’d switch. It’s accelerating your timeline by 5 years - but do you really want more of what you’re dealing with now for another 5 years? That’s a long time. You have poor leadership at your current job, moral is low and rockstars are leaving.

Jump ship, put the time in for the new job, and soon you’ll be able to do it in your sleep. Just requires a bit more effort up front right now. That’s a lot like life, right? Things worth doing require a bit more effort.

Edit: and this assumes you want to put in the effort rather than staying somewhere toxic but “safe”