It's been 5 years

rodr

Hey Moms who've had multiple kids (and even those who haven't). We're expecting, finally, after trying for almost 3 years (due: 12/26/20) There's going to be a 5.5 year age gap between our little one on the way and my last kiddo.

I know a lot of new things have come on the market. What are the newer things you wish you had had with your first child? We still have a lot of items from the first go round,but we will be updating our bassinet (we bought used last time) and I'll probably do the Kiinde system this time. I exclusively pumped with the last one, and I feel like this cuts down a nice step. Kiinde was super new last time and I wasn't convinced it would work well. Now my sister has been using it, and I'm thinking it's the next best step for us.

So give me your good recommendations below!

Thanks in advance.

@rodr Swaddle Me blankets, Bumbo Seat (with the eating tray attachment), Boppy Pillow.... not sure how new these things are b/c I had them for my almost 4 year old, and baby now - I'm trying to think of new things??

We really enjoyed the pack n play with the top bassinet and changing table when they're an infant. We didn't have that with our first b/c we got a second hand pack n play.

I didn't see the point in the boppy pillow with my first so it was barely used, but I used it with my second all the time to lay her in it when she was an infant and I had to get up for just a quick task.

So sorry, didn't quite answer your question, but maybe gave some ideas for existing stuff you didn't use the first go around. Happy shopping and congrats!

@sue94 I have a 3 week old and my SO and I LOVE our pack n play with the added bassinet and changing table. It sits next to our bed for now until she’s old enough to keep in her own room

@dacristoy We have that style of pack and play. We used it downstairs for naps/etc. Upstairs our room is too small for a large pack and play, so we’ll be looking for a more compact bassinet. The last one I had wasn’t as easy to get the baby out of in the middle of the night, so we’re going to look for one that makes it much easier.

@sue94 We use the boppy for a cushion for my daughter when she’s sitting at the table, since she never really used it either. That’s definitely helpful stuff. Thanks for your input!

@rodr If you wind up using formula, the Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher was amazing, saved a lot of time being able to mix up a whole day's worth of bottles at once instead of one at a time.

Any type of noise activated soothing sounds toy (we had a hippo) that will play soothing music/sounds when it hears the baby cry.

@rodr If you don't already have one, I can't recommend enough having a video monitor with multiple cameras.

I also got a white noise maker and it helped with sleep training immensely. My little one is 1.5 and we still use the white noise maker and the video monitor every night and nap.

@kdaniel7 Yes to the video monitor! I have to second this because it brings so much piece of mind. Just make sure it doesn’t connect to a network so there’s no chance of perverts hacking it. Hate that we even have to worry about that.

@rodr I love mine. The only issue I’ve had has been 100% user error but very rarely has it given a false reading. Just make sure you read the guide on how to properly use the sock!

@dannyboy1958 See this is exactly what I’m talking about. It was in kickstarter with my last child, so we couldn’t use it! You’ve been happy with them?

@rodr I second the owlet. I never had any false alarms in assuming people that did were user error or incorrect fit/placement issues. The one time mine went off I picked my daughter up and she had stopped breathing.

@rodr My first is 6 weeks and we have the snuza hero, we have been using it since she was 4w and it really gives you some peace of mind, so far we like it a lot!

@rodr We have it and love it so far with our 2 week old!! Don’t think I could have any peace of mind without it. Haven’t had any connection issues.

@rodr We love our bottle warmer from Phillips avent and also the wearable blankets ( we use Halo ones)
Boppy lounger
White noise machine
Fisher price sit me up chair
Aden and anais swaddle blankets were our favorite

@munwell Last time Aden and Anais was just becoming a thing. This time, I’m getting the Harry Potter set! I’m in love with them.