Is this a good deal?

vkm

Hi everyone, I’d love some advice. FTM expecting in January and trying to pick up a variety of used cloth diapers to try so I can figure out what brands/fit work for us.

I’m considering a used cloth diaper lot that contains the following for $50 CDN. Is this a good deal or should I pass?

16 bumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers with microterry inserts

22 newborn inserts (looks like microfibre)

3 bumGenius Flipp covers and 5 Flipp inserts

2 travel wet bags

1 wet bag for diaper bin

Sterilite diaper bin

1.5 rolls Kushies biodegradable liners

Replacement elastic

Seller has sent close-ups of the diapers and they appear to have no stains, she says the condition seems good to excellent but she did not use the diapers herself, she is reselling them. She said the elastics are relaxed and will need replacing. Two of the diapers have had their elastics already replaced 8 mos. ago. Diapers were always hung to dry.

From research, I understand that the 3.0 is quite an old model (how old?) and that elastic replacement is harder on the 3.0 than the 4.0 or 5.0s. I understand that microfibre is not ideal and doesn’t have the longest lifespan. But maybe this lot would be good for trying out whether I like covers vs pockets?

Maybe

@ace1981 Go look at Mercari , eBay, and Facebook Marketplace to see how people properly market their own used lots with photos, descriptions, and pricing....

@vkm Right now LPO is having their warehouse sale and some pockets are about $12. Or at least in the USA they were $11.99. And if you buy 10 they have 10% off that. So you could possibly get some new ones for around that price. But that doesn't mean that the used LPO ones aren't worth it!

@barbarawang_ Update: I checked and the sale is also running on the Canadian site. You’re right, it is a good deal, and barely more than used prices!

Weighing this against the fact that everything I’ve read suggests that maybe I shouldn’t invest in a whole 10-set of one brand before baby is here, in case they don’t fit her right. However I’ve heard so many rave reviews of LPO. What do you think?

@vkm Jumping in as a huge LPO fan, we have a mix of pockets (LPO, Kawaii, Alva) and my preferences have changed with my LO (now 13 months). We used some of their newborn AIOs when he was first born and I found they weren’t absorbent enough and would leak despite a good fit. Love love their OS pockets though. When my LO wa a first big enough to fit in OS, I found I could get a better fit around the legs with my cheapies, but when he got chubbier legs the LPOs fit great and still do. They’re my fav, so much softer than our other types, I love that I don’t have to remove the inserts prior to washing and the double gussets means we hardly ever have leaks as long as the legs are fit well.

@dreamwolf Thank you so much for sharing your experience, this is very helpful! I’m leaning now towards picking up an assortment of 1-2 diapers of various brands, in new or good used condition. I think I’ll get one or two LPO OS pockets.

@vkm I think that’s a good strategy although I personally wouldn’t buy too many different brands. It really annoys me while doing diaper laundry to have to sort the inserts by diaper type haha. I think trying 2-3 different brands is plenty

@vkm I'm not sure! I don't have a baby yet but am planning on cloth diapering. I got prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers in newborn and small sizes, and plan on using those primarily. But I also wanted some pockets and AIOs for church childcare, grandparents, middle of the night...
I got a couple newborn covers, a few one size covers, and then a couple AIOs and several pockets. And a couple wet bags. The US sale didn't have that many patterns though and not being double gussetted here is a bummer so if I were in Canada I probably would have bought more?

@barbarawang_ Thanks for sharing! I think my best strategy will be to collect an assortment of brands, leaning towards pockets and AI2s, and see what works. I didn’t realize about the gussets difference between the US/Canadian LPO pocket diapers. Thanks for pointing that out!

@vkm Go with the LPO, I love BG but fixing them up can be a hassle for new parents, and their replacement kits are the same sucky elastic as the original elastic. Plus the microfiber inserts are likely to have lost a lot of absorbency this far out (BG is on version 5.0 of their pockets.)

@vkm OP I will second both this advice and the Mercari advice. I have personally repaired about 25 BG 4.0s that were otherwise in great condition except the elastics. It took weeks to do this by hand as I don't have a sewing machine, I'm a FTM mom due in 4 days so I did it to pass time in the second and third trimester. This is an extremely cost effective way to go, as I then purchased used prefolds to stuff the pockets and spent way less than $5 per pocket shell. In my opinion, your lot in the post sounds unappealing because of the age of the pockets, the labor of repairing an old product, and the inclusion of microfiber when natural fibers are waaay better and just as affordable. Just a thought!