Is there a “homeschool” curriculum that you would recommend for pre-k?

girdyourloins

My daughter will be 2 later this year. But she’s pretty smart in comparison to other children I’ve known at her age (that’s not me bragging, just giving you the reason to want to start this) and so I want to start a school-like system in our home after her birthday once I see where she stands in terms of development. So, is there anything that you guys followed that wasn’t an actual school but just a curriculum that helped you?

@girdyourloins PreK = 4-5 years old. It's specifically referencing the year before kindergarten. This is different of course in different areas, but just an FYI if you're searching preK curriculum or materials online.

Early child education is very holistic - it's not just about numbers or literacy skills. There are several facets of education (kind of like school subjects) and math and reading are only a small part.

Fine motor skills and independent skills are huge at this age. You can't write your name if you can't hold a pencil, or draw straight/curved lines. You can't wash your hands if you don't have the strength to pump the soap. You can't dress yourself if you don't have the dexterity to thread shoelaces or button things. Play Doh, sensory bins, using tools to transfer objects is a great way to accomplish this.

Social emotional is also important. Things like recognizing expressions/emotions on pictures, switching from a self-centered perspective to recognizing others have thoughts and feelings that are different than mine, and actions have consequences - things I do affect others, just as what they do affect me. Processing and handling big feelings is also a great skill to learn, with calming techniques and mindfulness exercises.

Letterland is a great free curriculum and way to teach early phonics. They have a song for every letter, and stories surrounding that letters phonics. It's a popular curriculum in preschools and the kids pick it up so fast!

Math concepts like understanding that numbers have meaning (not just memorizing the thing you say when you're counting - it's a skill to know to stop at 3 when you've got 3 things), pattern recognition, and introducing number blocks are good here. I also like "stew" games where you count out items to make your recipe. You can dump, you count, you recognize numbers, and you can practice writing/tracing/adding and subtracting when that time comes. It grows really well.

I like Pocket of Preschool on TPT. Specifically, their stews and fine motor journals. It's curriculum that is easily adjusted for skill level, so you can move up/down based on where she is at. I've used it in my 3s classes really well.

@jordondop Seconding letterland for learning to read! I grew up with it myself in the early 90s. My daughter is 5 and was struggling with her phonics so I found letterland again and she has picked up so fast, she can read simple words now.

@jordondop Do you have a background in education? Because you hit every mark I was thinking of adding to the discussion.

The only worthwhile thing I have left to say is that OP could consider asking on a teacher subreddit what kindergarten readiness skills they wish parents focused on.

I will also add, although it’s tired advice, read to your kid!!!! Every day!!!!! Even if it’s only for 2 minutes some days, treat it as a necessary habit the same as brushing teeth. There are so many reasons it’s good for your child. The number of words a kid hears in their first 5 years of life directly impacts their development of language and even their prefrontal cortex later on! And kinder teachers can usually tell which kiddos were read to regularly and which were not. The ability to sit and listen to a story won’t come the first time you try to read to them, and it’s an ability that will start them off strong in kinder.

@jordondop We’re working on emotions right now, with faces knowing the basics happy and sad. She also knows how to count to 2 and what 2 things are (she’ll grab something, put one down and say one, put another down and say two then clap). And I’ll have to look into those things, thanks!

@rachelanne84 We are on again off again with Playing Preschool. I started it just after my son turned 3. It just didn't work out so I put it away for a long time. Partially he wasn't ready, despite knowing all his letters at age 2, partially I don't think I was teaching it right. We restarted it earlier this year. He is 4, my daughter is almost 3. It's good for him, too advanced for her, despite excellent verbal skills. In my experience 2.5 is too young for Playing Preschool. It's fine for tagging along with an older sibling at that age, but I think it is too much prep work if it was solely for the younger child.

@notly1988 I’ll probably start it at that age, I’m just looking to structure our days better. We currently do puzzles, coloring, music, etc. but I just want some more education in there.

@girdyourloins Really really at this time of year just take them places! In the winter when it’s super dreary outside there’s time for sitting down doing alphabet work, but it’s SPRING!! Go outside and observe the change of the seasons! The migratory birds are migrating, find an excellent nature walk and observe what birds are different this month than will be next month. Find the baby birds and learn the words for them! Duckling, gosling, chicks.. not by looking at pictures of ducklings but by going to SEE ducklings.

We’re gearing up to plant our garden next month, I will have several planters for my youngest almost two year old to throw some seeds in and see what happens.

We do all of our alphabet/sit down book work in the winter. In the spring and the summer you are better served going outside, imo.

@pzero39 Allergies are horrible right now unfortunately; also we live in an area where it gets extremely hot and humid so it’s not ideal for being outside too long. We do a lot of indoor play with the local children’s museum though and take advantage of their daily activities

@girdyourloins I don't find a "curriculum" online. but I look at the ages and stages questionnaire for ahead of where he is at now and make a list of all the ones he isn't proficient in. Then I come up with activities to work on the skill or look up activities to work on the skill. Sometimes rather general like "gross motor games for two year old" I have been dabbling in trying to structure days. Like focus on shapes for a while then snack, then a gross motor activity or two for an hour. My son is almost 2 and so far doesn't have much interest in my structure.

@girdyourloins You don't need to use curriculum at this age! If you do need to follow something look up bith montesorri and waldorf and take lessons from both.
I'm a homeschool mom of 4 gifted kids. )Well ones a baby so who knows about him but seems to be on par with the rest so far. )

Social and emotional skills are the most important. Work on and communicate through what it takes to be a good human. Work on big feelings and naming emotions. Work on emotional regulation skills and playing back and fourth.

I use to teach k (one year was pk and one year was 1st though) and the kids that struggled most in school were ones that struggled with social-emotional skills. 90% of k kiddos will be on the exact same academic level as each other so unless you plan to homeschool then its best to work on emotions first to give your kid the best chance at a positive school life.

Okay that being said. I have gifted kids and understand their intense need for knowledge! Just make the world and living life the lessons. Go outside and count rocks sticks leaves etc add them and subtract them. Bake together and measure things while exposing fractions. My first knew basic fractions and how to add them at 2years old through making and his love of learning. For reading, read books. Lots and lots of books. Complex and simple. All genres. Bob books are great for gifted kids to be able to self teach with a small amount of guidance. Science at this age can be simple chemical reactions and natural sciences. Life cycles of bugs and such are fun too. Teach about different cultures and world views.

There's so much you can do at this age through just playing and talking

Back